• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What is your feelings about Vehicles on the Beach?

• No vehicles should be allowed

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Keep it the way it is

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • I like the proposed change limiting permits to permanent county residents

Votes: 39 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
One of the issues about beach permitting is that a property that is an LLC or other business entity with many members , say 12 , can all qualify for a permit by the current code. That clogs the arteries of our small postage stamp beach.

My only issue with the current proposal is that it will limit families that have had homes in Grayton Beach for years, yet are not permanent residents.

My thought is this; limit usage to permanet residents and allow Grayton Beach Subdivision property owners, whether permant resident or not to qualify for a permit.. In addition, limit permits to 2 per household/lot.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Damm...just when I was getting that 4 wheel drive. :bang:

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
why not limit it to residents of grayton beach only?if not then limit it to 1 permit per home. to discriminate between a full time or part time land owner is wrong and i'm not sure legal.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I have never agreed with the property ownership requirement. I do agree that full time residency is a valid requirement. My reason for disagreeing with the property ownership requirement is the younger generation. I know plenty of twenty and thirty something second or third or fourth or fifth generation kids who have lived and worked here all their lives. Quite a few of them are building businesses and they contribute to the community in many ways every day, but haven't yet bought their own homes. They fish, go boating, kayak, yolo board and should have the same opportunity to launch a boat, which was as I understand it one of the reasons for keeping the Grayton access open to beach driving - a place in SoWal to launch a boat into the Gulf without driving a long distance away. The property ownership requirement discriminates on economic grounds, while residency is a valid requirement. Residency is used across the country in many locations as a qualification for all sorts of local activities and services - library cards, parking permits, etc., and I think the issue of discrimination against renters has come up more than a time or two.
I would favor strict rules for full time residency. Vehicle registration and insurance and driver's license address in Walton County, voter registration likewise, and a limit on the number of permits per residence.
As for the reduced fee for private security firms, it appears that came from Sandestin. They ought to pay their own way at full price, imho, and beyond that I would question why they even need to be driving on the beach.

kkddbb

Banned
May 13, 2009
as a permit holder for years now, it should absolutely be for perm. residents. and i think limiting one per parcel isnt a bad idea either. after all, i can only drive one vehicle at a time. and my friends that take two im sure can car pool. but than again, allowing just perm residents will greatly reduce traffic flow. in the end, the traffic flow isnt bad at all......except for summer holidays.

captnk

Beach Comber
May 28, 2009
How about giving us back are other beach laucnhing sights. Then maybe Grayton would not be so congested.