• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What is your feelings about Vehicles on the Beach?

• No vehicles should be allowed

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Keep it the way it is

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • I like the proposed change limiting permits to permanent county residents

Votes: 39 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kkddbb

Banned
May 13, 2009
How about giving us back are other beach laucnhing sights. Then maybe Grayton would not be so congested.

AGREED! i would love to know those who voted to keep all vehicles off the beach. what do you want to bet they are newbies to the hood?

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
So you're telling me that i own a home in grayton and pay the same taxes as you and am there 3-5 months of the year and support all the stores and restuants and i shouldn't be allowed to drive on the beach?TELL ME WHY SOMEBODY WHO LIVES FULL TIME IN ROSEMARY BEACH 10 MILES AWAY SHOULD HAVE MORE PRIVILAGES THAN ME WHO OWNS IN GRAYTON WERE THE BEACH IS?excuse me but thats bs.if and i mean if its passed it should be only for FULL TIME GRAYTON RESIDENTS.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Maybe those fees they collect from the permits should be used to inspect the vehicles applying for permit, to insure that they aren't leaking oil, transmission fluid, etc.

Also, I see plenty of vehicles on the beach without permits, and I have never seen any stopped by the cops, even when the cops drive by. Enforcing current rules on permits seems to be a good place to start for limiting the number of vehicles on the beach.

I read comments about Grayton owners, but there were four places to drive on the beach, and only one was Grayton. Why limit to Grayton owners only. Also, I know many second home owners who live elsewhere, but have for many years, driven to Grayton for beach going. Should they also be included if we are going only by history of use?

kkddbb

Banned
May 13, 2009
So you're telling me that i own a home in grayton and pay the same taxes as you and am there 3-5 months of the year and support all the stores and restuants and i shouldn't be allowed to drive on the beach?TELL ME WHY SOMEBODY WHO LIVES FULL TIME IN ROSEMARY BEACH 10 MILES AWAY SHOULD HAVE MORE PRIVILAGES THAN ME WHO OWNS IN GRAYTON WERE THE BEACH IS?excuse me but thats bs.if and i mean if its passed it should be only for FULL TIME GRAYTON RESIDENTS.

because those in rosemary living 10miles away as you stated live here full-time. its not just about paying taxes and supporting local business as much as i applaud you for doing so. we're talking about a 1/4 mile of beach here. im on that beach at least twice a day and have seen it like a walmart parking lot out there at times. its obviously because of the mass growth, but its because we allow anyone to drive down there. fact is, if the authorities enforced the rules we would rid the beach of many. i know of several trucks as we speak that go down constantly and have no permit. bottom line, if you live here 100% of the time and own property you should be the permit holders-period. we all cant get what we all want sometimes. but than again, we are an entitlement society these days....

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
AGREED! i would love to know those who voted to keep all vehicles off the beach. what do you want to bet they are newbies to the hood?

I'm not a "newbie" to the hood--I've probably lived here longer than you and the majority of posters on this board.

It is my belief that vehicles, dogs and overnight gypsy camps don't belong on our beaches--all have and bring their own type of pollution and destruction that further erodes this precious natural resource.

Last edited:

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
So you're telling me that i own a home in grayton and pay the same taxes as you ... it should be only for FULL TIME GRAYTON RESIDENTS.

by your own reasoning, your argument is flawed. why should residents of grayton be the only one's granted the privilege? also, there are people who launch boats and make their livelihood from the beach who don't live in grayton

if we're really going to go for it, those residents who have homesteaded their properties should be those who qualify.

Last edited:

kkddbb

Banned
May 13, 2009
I'm not a "newbie" to the hood--I've probably lived here longer than you and the majority of posters on this board.

It is my belief that vehicles, dogs and overnight gypsy camps don't belong on our beaches--all have and bring their own type of pollution and destruction that further erodes this precious natural resource.

i would agree that the beach has got entirely too much on it, but can you provide anything that says my truck that doesnt leak a drop is bad for the beach? and thats a sincere question, not a gottcha moment. i care deeply for this land and practice what i preach on a daily basis, but i truly havent been able to answer that question. and dogs shouldnt be allowed either, but human footprints can? or do you mean those dogowners that allow fiddo to drop it anywhere and leave it? or allowing them to run in the dunes? nothing ticks me off more than that... but, other than that a dog is no different than a human footprint.

and oh, i love how some can predict how long someone lives somewhere....:dunno:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
i would agree that the beach has got entirely too much on it, but can you provide anything that says my truck that doesnt leak a drop is bad for the beach? and thats a sincere question, not a gottcha moment. i care deeply for this land and practice what i preach on a daily basis, but i truly havent been able to answer that question. and dogs shouldnt be allowed either, but human footprints can? or do you mean those dogowners that allow fiddo to drop it anywhere and leave it? or allowing them to run in the dunes? nothing ticks me off more than that... but, other than that a dog is no different than a human footprint. :

There is no way to police whose truck does or doesn't leak oil and transmission fluid in the sand...there's no way to police whose dog owner leaves their dog's pile of steaming crap and urine in the sand. If neither are allowed on the beach, policing such would be a snap, because a leaking truck or a dog with explosive diarrhea could easily be identified as a violator and hustled off the beach...easy peasy.

and oh, i love how some can predict how long someone lives somewhere....:idontno:

....not exactly batting 1000 when you stated: "AGREED! i would love to know those who voted to keep all vehicles off the beach. what do you want to bet they are newbies to the hood?"

Last edited:

kkddbb

Banned
May 13, 2009
There is no way to police whose truck does or doesn't leak oil and transmission fluid in the sand...there's no way to police whose dog owner leaves their dog's pile of steaming crap and urine in the sand. If neither are allowed on the beach, policing such would be a snap, because a leaking truck or a dog with explosive diarrhea could easily be identified as a violator and hustled off the beach...easy peasy.

....not exactly batting 1000 when you stated: "AGREED! i would love to know those who voted to keep all vehicles off the beach. what do you want to bet they are newbies to the hood?"

good point, but do we penalize everyone because of a few bad apples? i assure you that the mass majority of grayton beach goes are respectful with their dogs. and i can also name names of those who are not. believe it or not, nearly all local grayton rats like myself are definately looking out for the beach and those who are not are exposed....trust me!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
How about a set number of permits. Allow charter boats to receive theirs first and then it's a first come first serve basis? The only qualification being that the vehicle be able to drive on the beach without getting stuck.