• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What is your feelings about Vehicles on the Beach?

• No vehicles should be allowed

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Keep it the way it is

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • I like the proposed change limiting permits to permanent county residents

Votes: 39 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
You can do both here - guess where?

20041227_1056.JPG

Camping on the Gulf in Sandestin, but I have to have an RV to camp there, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
example: wife takes one truck and husband takes another on the same day. i have friends that do that every weekend.

do what i do, call those people letting dogs crap on the beach out in public. thats a huge problem for me and i have my mutt on the beach daily. its the same as people throwing cig butts out the window. pure laziness and ignorance

So if we limited it to one per household, apparently we could reduce the number of vehicles quite a bit. Guess I don't really see the need for 2 vehicles on the beach from the same house when crowding is an issue.

I find it hilarious that you think I DON'T call out the people w/ pooping dogs. Frequently though the issue is that the owner is nowhere to be seen. :roll:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Sounds like, once again, the people that think the rules don't apply to them ruin a good thing for those of us that do follow the rules. How is it that no enforcement of the permit law is followed? IJS.

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
i say limit the permits to 1 car per household and see how that goes. but i think discriminating between a full time and part time homeowner will be challanged legally..i have every right as a homeowner to be able to drive to the beach . if that doesn't work then bar all cars from the beach.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
After thinking it over, I think I have to agree with ray. I don't see a lot of difference between discriminating against full time vs part time residents and discriminating against renters vs property owners. Either one could produce a situation that seems unfair to me. Ray would be ineligible and so would a young charter boat captain who is a full time resident, business owner, has been here for generations, but doesn't own property in his name. Of course there are ways to circumvent both restrictions - claim full time residency, put the permitted vehicle in the name of a property owner, etc. But why write an ordinance that is a set up for rule-breaking? If the idea is to reduce the number of vehicles on the beach, maybe it should be gone about in another way.
Better might be for the SO to enforce the permit rule, and maybe a change to the ordinance allowing a limit of the number of vehicles on the beach at any one time, and/or a time limit on parking on the beach?
Really I lean toward Shelly's view that vehicles don't belong on the beach, but I am okay with restricting it to Grayton where it is a long-standing tradition. I would oppose any expansion of the area or reopening of the former driving areas. So that takes us back to somehow limiting the use.

Yzarctoo

Beach Fanatic
Mar 6, 2009
DRAFT ON BEACH DRIVING-OCT 13th

If you feel strongly one way or the other on the new Driving on the Beach Draft that the County Commissioners will be reading and possibly will take a vote on ...please attend the Meeting at 4 PM, Tuesday October 13th over at the Courthouse Annex on 331 and let them know your views.

If you can't make the meeting, please call Mr. Demers at 267-1955 and express your views, or you can contact him at : demgerry@co.walton.fl.us.

I think our Commissioners and Mr. Demers need to hear all of our views so that perhaps they might table the (issue/vote) and take another look at the issue so that it will treat all taxpayers and property owners in Walton County fairly. The next date for applying for Beach Permits is June 1, 2010. So they do have time to do more study on this issue.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
So what about those owners of fractional units? Each can sell their deed separately from the remaining owners. They are not held in a collective LLC as owning all portions of the total unit. Each portion is separate.