• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
050730-bmb-003.jpg

050730-bmb-041.jpg

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
It is my firm belief the the US Fish and Wildlife Service is literally blackmailing the County of Walton. It quite alright for them and the Walton County Turtle Watch Association to dig up and transport over 300 turtle eggs to the East Florida coast and it not be considered a "take" but when we restore our sand so that the turtles may nest, it is a "take". Maybe, on second thought, it is time for the private beachfront property owners to consider restricting the use of their beaches until they receive some consideration for what they have done instead of knocking them for destroying the habitat.
The decision to relocate eggs last summer was made at the state and federal level. Walton County and the South Walton Turtle Watch had nothing to do with it, and the decision had nothing whatsoever to do with the seawalls. It was all about the oil spill.

You accuse USFW of blackmail, and in nearly the same breath, your last sentence sounds very like blackmail to me.

The issue here is not what was done - it was done five years ago - the present issue is how to resolve it and who is going to pay for the resolution. The thread title here is a good one, should the taxpayers bail out the seawall owners, especially now that at least one, you, is talking about restricting use of those beaches by said taxpayers?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
The decision to relocate eggs last summer was made at the state and federal level. Walton County and the South Walton Turtle Watch had nothing to do with it, and the decision had nothing whatsoever to do with the seawalls. It was all about the oil spill.

You accuse USFW of blackmail, and in nearly the same breath, your last sentence sounds very like blackmail to me.

The issue here is not what was done - it was done five years ago - the present issue is how to resolve it and who is going to pay for the resolution. The thread title here is a good one, should the taxpayers bail out the seawall owners, especially now that at least one, you, is talking about restricting use of those beaches by said taxpayers?
I think you should note the rest of the letter. The last sentence only said "maybe" and was considered poetic license as far as I'm concerned. On various threads in this forum, I have strongly defended and supported the public's right to use ALL the beach and that the beaches should not be "private" in Florida. We, the beach front owners, are being asked to fully pay for what all the public now uses and I don't think that is fair. If you do, you are entitled to, what I consider, your very flawed opinion. That said, I realize you are not alone. Everyone likes something that is free.

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Kurt, thank you for all the pictures of the construction in2005. I'm sure you are aware that some of the walls were not covered because the owners were told not to cover them. At least that is what I have been told. Please now post some pictures of what the renovated area of Blue Mt. Beach where I now live looks like.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
So you bought a house on a hill of sand. I assume you walked down to the beach and turned around. A hurricane, the strongest force in nature, came along and amazingly washed out the sand. Now I and everyone else in the county who thought that might be a bad idea is going to pay for it?

Let me tell you where you can put your TEA.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
So you bought a house on a hill of sand. I assume you walked down to the beach and turned around. A hurricane, the strongest force in nature, came along and amazingly washed out the sand. Now I and everyone else in the county who thought that might be a bad idea is going to pay for it?

Let me tell you where you can put your TEA.
"Why not make the contractors who installed them illegally or improperly liable?" Your quote not mine. Its one of the few sensible things you said lately. Also, it is too bad you don't understand how people who have really lived in the world think. Arrogant? Yes. True? Also yes. I know more about the forces of nature first hand than you could possibly learn in your internet exploring and I accept the risks of life, including living on the beach. Have a nice day.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
"Why not make the contractors who installed them illegally or improperly liable?" Your quote not mine. Its one of the few sensible things you said lately. Also, it is too bad you don't understand how people who have really lived in the world think. Arrogant? Yes. True? Also yes. I know more about the forces of nature first hand than you could possibly learn in your internet exploring and I accept the risks of life, including living on the beach. Have a nice day.

Just so we're clear you understand that you are socializing your decision to live in a geologically unstable area? Once again it benefits you so it's fine, but if it benefits someone else it's an evil force that must be stopped at all costs. You are beyond arrogant and selfish.

If I follow your above post then your seawall was installed illegally or improperly? Your quote of my quote.

Once again I will bow to your unbelievable life experience and move on since you will simply answer this post with the written version of this:

YouTube - Yosemite Sam

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
So, there are those who choose to build on a moving medium, and when the moving medium moves in a way that's not to their advantage, they change the topography to protect their assets. Then they want to taxpayers to cover the costs. Is there another way to read this?

In effect, the taxpayers are paying for 'private' beaches. Isn't that illegal? And, if not, wouldn't that make the 'private' beaches public? I figure if I'm paying for one's seawall, then I have every right to sit in front of it. And if this gets approved across the board, who will make the determination over private vs public sand?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The tourists' tax dollars have been paying for private beaches for years. Nothing new there. eg- the TDC collects trash from the beaches on a daily basis from all beaches in South Walton, with maybe the exception of the state parks, regardless of ownership.