• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Should The Chamber Manage The Tourist Development Council

• Yes

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 92.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
Do your believe the tourism industry would be best served by the BCC creating a Public/Private partnership relationship for the Walton Area Chmber of Commerce to manage the TDC ?

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The first reaction I have heard from people is negative. I would like to know more - pros and cons, reasoning behind it, how it would be managed, etc.

Like it or not most government services are headed down the road to privatization. Does it make sense for attracting tourists, managing beach services, educating the puiblic?

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
If people are worried about who the TDC is taking to dinner and how much they are spending, just wait until that monitoring comes under private businesses. I'm trying to think of other examples where private businesses control tax revenues and I am drawing a blank.

By the way, why is the Walton Area Chamber of Commerce still promoting "THE Beach" on their website?
graphic_tasteofthebeach.jpg
"Now, you understand why we so are thrilled to welcome you to THE Beach and our community, Florida's Greater Walton Region. After all, you might like our way of living so much that it becomes yours!"

Last edited by a moderator:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
The first reaction I have heard from people is negative. I would like to know more - pros and cons, reasoning behind it, how it would be managed, etc.

Like it or not most government services are headed down the road to privatization. Does it make sense for attracting tourists, managing beach services, educating the puiblic?

Of course the details are really needed on this. Are we speaking of the Chamber doing this, or Dawn Moliterno taking on the job of oversight, like a consultant until they find someone, as an individual. You would have to admit, she is certainly quite capable of doing the job, knows all the players, already interacts with most. I could see where this could be a plus for the TDC while they search for a permanent director. And this would be quite a bit different from a private enterprise managing public funds.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Of course the details are really needed on this. Are we speaking of the Chamber doing this, or Dawn Moliterno taking on the job of oversight, like a consultant until they find someone, as an individual. You would have to admit, she is certainly quite capable of doing the job, knows all the players, already interacts with most. I could see where this could be a plus for the TDC while they search for a permanent director. And this would be quite a bit different from a private enterprise managing public funds.

Regarding the last to comments, how?

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005

and just how would it be different?

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
Historically in Walton County "interin" is the first step toward permanent.

Examples

Lyle Ziegle was interim while a search began.
Burke & Blue were "interim" legal council while a search was conducted

When everyone kicks up a fuss, just make it interim or temporary and wait six months. Then do what they wanted to do in the beginning.

Just part of the plan.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Regarding the last to comments, how?

My understanding, Dawn is a CEO that is responding to the Chamber Board. At the TDC she would be the director working with the TDC Board and the Board of Commissioners. Not much different that what Brad is doing. The position would be part time, but she is just up the street. Give her a county email to work with, so records retention is not an issue, and go from there. Now this is if the dollars are going to Dawn and not the Chamber. The Chamber BOD is to be commended if this is the case, for allowing her to pursue this opporutinity.