• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

merbel

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2005
Atlanta
This may seem odd, but have to ask. Just in for first time in about six months and bought some fresh shrimp on the way in (I will not say where but within 10 miles of WC). Put it in fridge on ice overnight. This morning was peeling and deveining and noted the shrimp were more slippery than usual. I was putting them in a bowl and as I moved them out, it seemed as if there was an oily substance in the bowl. My cat who LOVES shrimp would not touch it. I am not trying to be alarmist or start anything-maybe the shrimp were just old, but wanted to get some feedback from some locals here and see if anyone else had noticed anything. (Been coming down here forever and eating shrimp all my life and this was not what I am used to....)
:dunno:

merbel

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2005
Atlanta
Just went to eat at local restaurant and brought the cat back a small piece of shrimp and she ate it without hesitation. So good news there.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Tell your cat the shrimp from Goatfeather's is fantastic and that he/she should get the biggest ones and have them steam them and season them with old bay. Also, your cat should eat them at the beach while drinking a beer at sunset. ;)

ameliaj

Beach Fanatic
Jun 19, 2007
SoSpal (figure it out)/Seacrest
Yep, sometimes you get "previously frozen" wild caught that have been defrosted too long. The freezing makes them a little soggy to begin with and if they are a day or two old, the "slime" sets in. If all that is available is "previously frozen" I make them get me some "still frozen" from the back and then I know they should be in good shape. Since I do not live in the land of fresh caught shrimp, I watch the sales at Kroger, Publix, etc. and when they have 21-25 count wild caught on sale, I ask for the 6 lb bag and just put it in my freezer. They are individually frozen and you can take out of the bag what you need.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
always smell the shrimp before you buy them. If they have an odor of anything other than fresh and sweet seafood, don't buy them.

ameliaj

Beach Fanatic
Jun 19, 2007
SoSpal (figure it out)/Seacrest
always smell the shrimp before you buy them. If they have an odor of anything other than fresh and sweet seafood, don't buy them.
Absolutely!! Seafood purchased in a store is supposed to be labeled with stuff like "wild caught", wild caught gulf", previously frozen, "farm raised in (pick an Asian Country)", etc. You really have to pay attention to what you're purchasing. A bargain price is not always the best deal.

But, LOVE ME SOME FRESH SHRIMP!!!!!!

merbel

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2005
Atlanta
I will write it off to bad luck. Don't want to give away where this was from as don't want to hurt local economy, but not a grocery and not a local seafood shop.
And yes, often have goat feathers steamed and always pleased,:clap:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I also do not keep raw shrimp in the fridge for any amount of time - even on ice. Buy it same day and cook soon after (or have the store steam it).

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I've always wondered about the shrimp boat, which is the only shrimp retailer left. I won't buy anything from food venders who open only on the weekend when the gov't isn't looking.