• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
I have to say that the direction seems to be a little better and the size not quite as massive. But there are a few things that need to be looked at before approval (surely this is an early plan and not in process yet). The pdf is 30 mb so I'm posting a few snippets in the hope that the county will get some input from everyone in plenty of time to get it right this time.

A few thoughts:
  • The sheer number is ridiculous - there will be hundreds of new signs. Scenic 30A will no longer be scenic when all these signs go in. No one can convince e that the bike trail needs hundreds of "safety" signs.
  • The new logo design with the sea oat is not bad but it is from a private commercial website. Even if they gaie permission it sounds shady and seems like it could invite future lawsuits even if their is an agreement in writing.
  • I've seen the the official designation as "Scenic Highway 30A" - "Scenic30-A" with a dash is a typo?
  • As for the design of all the "safety" signs - what's with all the crazy colors and patterns? And won't having multiple signs at every driveway create a safety hazard? Won't people be hitting them on bike or on foot, or in their cars?
Isn't all we really need what we had - a few quaint signs announcing beach towns? Maybe a few others with direction arrows here and there? Doesn't our government have enough to do without all this extra work, not to mention the expense?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yes, there will be too many signs, and this is only phase I. I suggested to paint most of the "safety" signs on the actual bike path, which reduces costs, clears the scenery of more than 100 signs and posts, and eliminates the possibility of any collision with those particular signs and posts which would now simply be paint on the pavement.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I like the new design & scale much better (to nitpick, I don't think the sea oats should stick off the sign), but feel there is a great deal of extraneous signage on each post.

We don't need to explain WHY the traffic signs are there - a yield or stop sign is more than sufficient w/o another sign telling you the reason.

If you ignore a stop sign and have an issue, that's Darwinism, not a need for additional explanatory signage.

I like the addition of the yellow 'trail crossing' sign to the standard vehicular stop sign, but feel that the white symbols and lines painted on the pavement or the presence of a road are more than sufficient to alert a biker to a crossing area - they don't need 4 more additional signs.

I also vote that the mileage markers only be installed on posts for other signs - not separate and at the exact location. Since it is a recreational path I think we can save some $ with a mile marker at 4.02 instead a sign at 4.02 and a market at 4.0!

Last edited:

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
That's it? We just re-use the Beach Group logo and add 1,000 more bike path signs? WTF?

isacksphoto

Beach Comber
Nov 25, 2007
seagrove
www.isacksphoto.com
I am okay with the signs itself, but why why why so many?? that really upsets me, it is so not what South Walton is about...Disneyworld. A sign every five feet, are people that stupid that they need constant direction? All I can think about is trying to take a "natural" photograph on 30A.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I A sign every five feet, are people that stupid that they need constant direction?

Yes, some are, but that doesn't mean we need to pander to their idiocy!

Seriously, how much "signage" do people need to follow a path? If they truly have as much trouble as the oodles of signage would suggest, they should not be operating a motorvehicle or bike ............or maybe even without 24 hour care!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Agreed. Why are we using someone's business logo? discover30a.com

Totally agree, especially when there are much better logos that can be used.

sowal.jpg

NE SoWaller

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2008
Omaha, Nebraska
I know that I am just a visitor a couple of time a year, but didn't everyone get along fine without all the signs up to now. Why don't they just put the old ones back, and forget about it. Then everyone can get back to enjoying the beauty of the area. Who needs the darn signs anyway? :angry: I come from Nebraska and I've never gotten lost.

Learn to read a map if you can't find where you are going!

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
My impression is that a couple of guys who are very into the bike path and have become de facto ambassadors for the bike path approached the BCC about needed safety improvements to the path a few years ago.

I have seen the fantastic powerpoint these guys put together, and it seemed to me that most of the issues they had were more to do with safety issues like builders tearing up the bike path and leaving it a mess for months on end while they dig a sand pit/underground garage, or when developers put in sharp turns to enhance their front gates, parking on the path in front of Borago, and other maintenance issues.

So far, the only solution they've gotten is signs. Now, the signs are coming into question because of all the sign issues on 30A. These guys are, understandably, angry. They've worked really hard on the signs while no one was paying much attention. So, with that said -- I'd caution everyone to remember that we, as a community, have just started paying attention. We must begin with a certain bit of contrition for the fact that we didn't get involved earlier and accept that we can't make everything perfect, but we can improve what's coming down the pipeline. We must also be respectful of the guys who worked their heart and soul out to get the (needed and helpful imo) mile markers and safety improvements and not undo all of their hard work.

Going forward, I'd like to say that I'm now paying attention to the bike path, and while I'm adamantly opposed to sign clutter, I will support their efforts to get the bike path fixed in ways that really matter and truly make it more usable. Signage may be a hot commodity right now in lots of communities, and I'm sure SignTek appreciates the business, but the money is better used for maintenance and improvement and if the Timpoochee group have our support -- vocal and lots of it -- for the trail in other ways, I pray they'll forgive our delay of their project.

As for the sign clutter -- three more volunteers are desperately needed for the project to inventory signs. It's important!