• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
There were at least four design options proposed, and the people who attended the design charette wanted this particular sign/logo. I have seen the other designs, and some were better, some not. I'm sure the designer would have preferred his original designs, but the logo was very popular. I think it did try to tweak what the charette attendees wanted.

The logo is not part of phase 1, which is the only phase that has been funded and approved. If there are strong opinions about the logo that was selected, I hope everyone will attend the meetings to come and we can come up with something better that will work with the mile markers and stop ahead/stop/crossing signs that are already in the pipeline.

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

--- The Five Man Electrical Band, 1970

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I drive across the bike path every day and while I feel sure that many of our tourists are not as careful regarding oncoming bicyclists, walkers and joggers as locals who are aware of the heavy usage of the Timpoochee Trail, I am also sure that very shortly they become cognisant of the need for caution when approaching the trail to cross it in a vehicle. SJ's suggestion of info put on the trail itself is a good one. Too many signs on the trail have two disadvantages. One, they will be ignored if too repetitive and two, they can be too distracting if they are all observed. In short, too much signage is not good for many, many reasons. I don't need my view of oncoming traffic blocked by signage when coming out of my driveway, either. Not saying that will happen for sure but it is a possibility. I love to watch the activity on the bike path. It is a laid back joy to walk on and observe all the going ons in SoWal. Let's make sure we keep this laid back posture and enjoyability of the Timpoochee Trail. Too many signs, as now proposed, will ruin this trail for all concerned.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
How are a hundred smaller signs better than a few huge ones? I thought the point of a sign ordinance was to protect the "scenicness" of the area. Signs are a neccessary evil, but let's not decorate the bike path with them! I like the idea of painting safety info on the path itself.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I cant believe they are even entertaining the idea of using a copyrighted logo from a local business. I can think of a hundred local logos better than that one. Talk about a disaster waiting to happen. Maybe have a contest for the local school kids to design the logo? As for increasing the number of signs, maybe they should ask the DOT,Dept. of Hwy Safety etc. how increasing the number of wayfinding signs can dramatically reduce the visibility and attention that people pay to important signs... like speed limits, yield, stop signs.

(Are there really that many idiots working for Walton County....:bang:)

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
On the very west end, the signage is very low key. But once you get into Dune Allen & further east, it becomes a nightmare of what signs are meant for which direction & for whom (i.e., cars/trucks or trail walkers/cyclists).

Very unmistakable crossings (PAINT) should be kept highly visible for both crossing 30A & even where neighborhoods & streets intersect. I stop before the trail coming out of my neighborhood & other roads, but so many people don't.

Also observing Seagrove yesterday, Scooterbug's suggestion of a line down the middle would at least let users of the trail with brains know that they shouldn't take up the whole trail all going in one direction. If it is to be used for both recreation and a means for getting from one place to another, simple guides should be in place. NOTE: I'm not saying signs along the road at all!!!!!

Regarding the community coming together on this, a map of the trail with rules of the use of it could be at TDC & even at rental agencies, bike shops, etc. Printed on recycled paper, of course!:D

Redd

Beach Fanatic
May 7, 2007
the old signs were just right ! old friends welcoming you back (indigenous, organic, appropriate, not disneyish, not too many, a tradition and we have precious few...YOU GET THE PICTURE, :welcome:

Yeah and the math on the new signs to be "Hurricane Proof" topped $200K
Old signs were $300 odd apiece (back when done)
Scenerio:
Hurricane comes through and wrecks 2 signs
cost to replace, $600

Even allowing for inflation its not $200k
and if a cane does blow through the signs wont be needed for a while co tourists wont be here til clean up is done

So the hurrican proof argument just an excuse to justify the $200 gov toilet seat price mentality

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Sign Industrial Complex ?????

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS --

Who exactly is foisting their sign madness onto 30-A. Who is this person or group of individuals behind this madness for real? It's not funny anymore.

The old wooden signs were a good fit, a really good fit. If you're that one person actually lost on 30-A while sober, I suggest you talk to someone - Isn't that part of what New Urbanism is about? Big porches, interactions with real people, ice cream.

WTF is going on in SoWal - Is this April 1st?

Last edited:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
It was a given, at least to me, when the signage was fought to be changed that whatever was ultimately decided on by the community, that no one particular sign was going to please everyone. But, the one thing that seems glaringly obvious is the fondness for the wood signs.

One thing I would ask is pleeeease do not put a line down the center of the bike path. I can see the need for signs on the trail for areas where cars cross or where safety is severly compromised, small mile markers as a convenience, even tasteful scenic corridor signage at select overlooks. But, a line in my opinion would be in opposition to what everyone is fighting for, and that is to preserve the natural look of 30-A.