• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NSully

Beach Comber
As I said on the Intro thread, we are coming in April to look at homes for a June move. What can you tell us about the snakes and scorpions? Are there areas that would be better to avoid them? We have 2 small kids and a small dog. Would like those things to not be a big problem if possible. Suggestions? Thanks in advance....

Last edited:

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Considering that most of the homes are new contruction, ie they tore down the trees and built houses, yes, there are many snakes, scorpions, spiders, etc. Many are poisonous, some venom is particularly nasty. Is there a place that doesn't have some kind of pest?

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
We've been here 5 years and I've never seen a snake. I've seen their trail going across the dirt road, but never actually seen one around my house. I've seen one scorpion (a very small one). :welcome:

jensieblue

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
on a lake in the woods
It is best if your kids and your animals, learn avout "the gotchas" in the world. I have raised my children in the beautiful woods of North Alabama. I have 5 dogs. I taught my children with pictures and on nature walks about what to look for. One nishgt my 2 YO came to my room to tell me that was a bug on the stairs and she demonstrated a claw with fingers coming together. She knew not to touch without checking with us. I have had lots of dogs through the years and have learned different breeds repond in different ways to snakes. Some of my dogs come running if the least little thing gives them pause, other dogs are wonderful at alerting us to the presense of snakes. Teach your kids not to walk in the woods without walking stick that they can use to disturb the vegetation and scare any snakes away. Get with a veternarian as soon as you get down there. Talk with folks and ask which vet has the expertise to handle a sanake bitten dog. Last summer one of my dogs was bitten by a timber rattler. It was a serious bite but I can report with pleasure that she came through with flying colors. My vet had just hired an associate from Arizona who was incredibly good at diagnosis and my local vet hospital gave her 24 hour ER care. These things are in the worlkd and it is best to know about the dangers and how to respond effectively. You're going to love it there. And Florida Girl is right..every place has something...It's the ones you don't know about that are most dangerous....

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
There are poisonous snakes here, but you just avoid places you know they might be. I've only ever seen one (nonpoisonous) in my "natural" yard - most of them have actually been while golfing or out in the wild.

There isn't a specific neighborhood we can recommend as they are potentially everywhere.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Coyotes pose minimal danger to supervised kids at play or a dog in a fenced yard. Depending on where you live, if you let the dog roam loose it might become a coyote snack.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Florida does have scorpions, but these aren't the southwest kind. They are fairly harmless. That being said if you are allergic to bees or insect bites they can cause problems. Otherwise you'll probably be lucky to see one.