• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jkmason

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2014
IMG_0344.JPG I walk my dog a lot and take quite a few trips on the Longleaf Trail. Wildlife is always a risk to your dog on the trail and even on the local paved roads.

Now that the weather is warming up I pay particular attention to poisonous snakes, especially the Pygmy Rattler. The one's I have run across have been about the width of a pencil and 12-18" in length, very small and difficult to spot until you are almost on top of them.

Today we spotted one on the longleaf just East of Hwy 83. The snake was sitting in the middle of the trail, very lethargic, but had his head pointed at us with it's relatively silent tail rattle rattling. I flipped him 25' off the trail and turned around. As it gets warmer the snakes will get more aggressive and dangerous to pets. I have included a photo of a Pygmy for reference.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I know it's not an animal issue, but what's the status of the trail on the west end where they came in and clear cut the living daylights out of everything green?

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
I know it's not an animal issue, but what's the status of the trail on the west end where they came in and clear cut the living daylights out of everything green?
No change since you last saw it. I'll try to get out and take a picture tomorrow.