• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
Is it more snakey that usual or have I been blind? Last week a neighbor showed us a 4 ft Rattlesnake he had killed near our yard. This weekend I saw three black snakes, a huge dusty colored snake (didn't get a look at his head as he slithered off the patio), the boys saw a rattler crossing the watercolor bridge and ChefEd just now accidently ran over a snake curled up in front of Regions on 395. That seems like a lot of snakes in just a few days.

I AM NOT going mountain biking on the trails any time soon. :yikes:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I've been vacationing and living in Seagrove (Eastern Lake) for about fifty years. In the last three years, I have seen more snakes than in the last three decades. We use to see one every three or four years. It's now close to twice a month. My neighbor saw two in two days. The fact that our lake has been changed from brackish to fresh water I think is the major contributing factor, but I would be curious to know how widespread this snakey thing is.

lerxst

Beach Fanatic
Jul 24, 2008
We've had a series of huge rainstorms in the past several weeks and there is a lot of standing water. Also, I've noticed a small cypress swamp that had been dried out for some time is now normal level again. I would guess that the rains are playing a huge part in the snakes moving around.

Beauty hunter

Beach Fanatic
May 3, 2009
all the empty buildings that have been built for ? snakes, racoons, coyotes, hogs, bunnies, deer-seen them all in local neighborhoods...natural habitat being displaced by empty buildings with no tenants...if the rent stays as high as it is in this area you may see me wandering around!

dunebug

Beach Comber
Jul 2, 2008
What ever it is I would have ran for the hills! Recently I had seen a snake in the middle of the sidewalk as I was taking a bike ride near WaterSound. Not fun to have Mr/Ms. Snake blocking the path.
:yikes:

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
I ran over a stick Sat. in SoBuc in my neighborhood. It was a snake and I felt horrible when I realized it was too late and looked in my rear view mirror. He didn't stick around.....slithered off, so I guess ok. I think I was in the Ho....6,600 lbs. :blink:

We've had a lot of rain, too......creeks are/were rising and this snake was right next to the creek in my hood.

Giddzilla

Beach Comber
May 14, 2009
giddzilla.wordpress.com
It looks like a corn snake. You want them around, they eat rodents. If you are worried about venomous snakes around your house then stop for a minute and think about things you may be doing to attract rodents.

Garbage cans overflowing?

Compost pile too close to the house or where the kids play?

Spilled birds seed or improperly stored bird seed?

Tall grass weeds around the foundation of the house?

Yard refuse?

I totally understand people worrying about venomous snakes being too near the kids (not going to fault you for killing a 4' rattler that is on your patio by your toddlers tricycle if you don't know how to properly handle a "hot" snake) but they are beneficial in keeping rodents, which carry diseases such as Hanta virus and cause property damage, at bay. Lets try to think about constructive ways to live with snakes and other wildlife.

Rattle snakes really like to eat rabbits so if you have wild rabbits around please do not feed them and try to think of ways to discourage them from being in your yard.

Snakes also like places to hide, bask, and access to water so minimizing these kinds of things in your yard can help keep it snakeless.

Last edited:

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Ditched a bike to avoid running over a Water Moccasin Saturday in front of the old post office on Gilmore Road in Pt. Washington. Cut my toe open on the cogs that hold the chain on the bike and the chain slipped off. Limped home with a bloody foot, but I didn't get snake bit!!!

Seeing bigger types of snakes...no Pygmy Rattlers yet this season. Look up the Creepy Crawley thread from last year..............YIKES!!!!!

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
:yikes:It's snakey in Gulf Breeze too. Can anyone identify this snake that was in my pool?
Kinda looks like a pygmy rattler to me. but the head isnt shaped like one. Might be some banded water snake