• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
I hope you have chestnuts roasting on your George Foreman Grill, silverfi sh nipping at your nose, your sup-hose filled with geritol, vitamins a, b, and c (helps eliminate spell-check) and an abundance of hugs and kisses from someone who loves you. (In these days of political correctness, who knows what to say or when to say it.)
In other words, happy and merry every day! And, if you are reading this article for the first time, we know you are here and not ?there,? and we welcome you abundantly.
Collectively, we are the Walton County Snowbirds, and have we got a calendar for you! It?s fi lled with events that will be off and running with vim and vigor, most of them after the first of the year. So, make ready and get yourself to our place of registration, Faith Assembly Hall on Geronimo St. from 8:30 to 11 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 2, so that you can participate in any and all activities, and that you can use the storage facility when it is time to return north.
You will not be able to pay for membership at the same time you drop off storage, so know well in advance that that is the policy and/or your treasures will return home with you. So, let?s review what?s happening after the fi rst of the year unless otherwise noted.

? Aerobics for Seniors will get you in shape after the holiday blitz with Connie Sutherland on lead at Faith Assembly Hall from 11 a.m. to noon, Mondays.

? Art Workshop for all budding artists to ?do your own thing? and see what others are doing, dates and times to be announced. Jan Young is chairing.

? Ballroom Dancing, both beginning (6:30 to 8 p.m.) and advanced (8 to 9 p.m.), Mondays beginning Jan. 8, will be handled respectively by Len and Janet Hoover and Clarice and Charles Duffy at Faith Assembly Hall. Remember to ask Santa for smooth soled shoes so that your gliding, striding and strutting are up to snuff.

? Bluegrass Country Music is a happening right now and to find out the particulars, give Charlie Johnson a call at (850) 837-4700, ext. 1208.

? Book Discussions and Reviews will be at 2 p.m. on Thursday afternoons, a new book each month with Betty Weston, (850) 837-1419, coordinating. On Jan. 18 we will discuss ?The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time? by Mark Haddon.

? Bowling League is ably handled by Don Wade (850) 864-0835 or Connie Clark (850) 837-2614 with the fi rst games to begin Friday, Jan. 5 at 12:30 p.m. At that time the fees will be paid and the teams will be organized, and the competition will continue throughout January and February. Please note the different bowling facility, White Sands Bowling Center, 653 Beal Parkway NW in Fort Walton Beach. (If you golf 50 miles away, what?s one little adventure to Fort Walton for a bowling gala. Besides, Hurricane Lanes has other ideas for its winter so it?s time for a change.)You can bowl as many weeks as is convenient, but payment will be at the first meeting, $7 per week.

? Bridge will be on Tuesdays from 1 to 4 p.m. beginning Jan. 2 and on Thursdays from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. beginning Jan. 4 at the Santa Rosa Beach Community Church, 3524 U.S. 98. The church is about 2 miles past the intersection of U.S. 98 and 30A, on the north side of the road.

? Caring and Sharing concerns can be directed to Marilyn Libbra at (850) 650-0480 or mlgl1@earthlink.net.

? Computer Group is ongoing from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. every second and fourth Tuesday of the month thanks to the expertise of the Walton County Computer Club. Neophytes and computer whizzes are invited to partake at the Faith Assembly Hall. $10 covers snowbird season expenses, and Hugh Barnard, (850) 654-9129, coordinates.

? Creative Writing is helmed by the famed author Jan Evan Whitford who will share his talents in getting you into the ?published? category as well as lend an ear to your written word. Dates and times to be announced, but placement will be at the Good News Methodist Church, which is about one mile past the intersection of U.S. 98 and 30A on the south side of the road.

? Euchre is on Tuesdays from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. beginning Jan. 2 at the Santa Rosa Beach Community Church (see ?Bridge? for location).

?Fishing information can be gleaned from ?the man of the sea? Verlin Jackson, (850) 654-1425, ext. 6-1206. Choose either Party Boat Trips or ?Six Packs.?

? Flossie Wimmer 12th anniversary of special golf tourney will be held Saturday, Feb. 17 at the Golf Garden with lots of events and prizes. Sign-ups will begin on Jan. 2 during registration and will continue until we?re at capacity. Lise Walsh, (850) 837-4466, chairs.

? Golf Leagues begin Tuesdays at 9 a.m. at the Golf Garden as of Jan. 9, and same time and place on Thursdays beginning Jan. 4. Sign-ups and pay-toplay at registration must be completed on Jan. 2.

? Golf Playdays have January dates set with shotgun tee-offs at 9 a.m. on Thursday, Jan. 4 and Thursday, Jan. 18 at Windswept. Call the pro shop at (850) 837-1847 to secure your reservation along with your membership number and credit card. Windswept will be supplying prizes. Also, on Monday, Jan. 22 there will be a Playday at Kelly Plantation with signups occurring at the Jan. 8 registration.

? Golf Scrambles are at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 10 (sign-up at registration Jan. 8) at Bluewater Bay; Wednesday, Jan. 24 (sign-up at registration on Jan. 15) at Sandestin Links. Other dates will be announced in the January newsletter.

supermom262

Beach Fanatic
Nov 5, 2006
Grayton Beach
Thank you for posting this information. My parents will be down here from Dec. 29 - March 15 ish. They unfortunatley do not have computer access. They are in their 60's, love to read, garden (my mom,) can play euchre, LOVE TO GOLF, and my dad can b.s. with the best of them. My dad has been very ill, recovering from Cancer, and is doing fine right now. I want so much for them to move here, selfishly, so we can spend more time with them. My kids miss them so much! I am printing this off, so I can give this schedule to them.
Thanks!