• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I find it interesting the the South end of the county provides 89.1% of the revenue, but only has a 40% say in how that money is spent. I feel like the "tax watchdogs" are pulling the wool over our eyes. Why are we in the South expected to be taxed without representation? Was any of this brought up at the local tea party? I doubt it.

The 2010 census is coming up and that means that the county can redistrict. Why do I get the distinct impression that this is consider some sort of anarchy by the North end?

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I would venture a guess that when redistricting comes SoWal will not have a solid 40% representation. Oh wait, do we really have that now?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I find it interesting the the South end of the county provides 89.1% of the revenue, but only has a 40% say in how that money is spent. I feel like the "tax watchdogs" are pulling the wool over our eyes. Why are we in the South expected to be taxed without representation? Was any of this brought up at the local tea party? I doubt it.

The 2010 census is coming up and that means that the county can redistrict. Why do I get the distinct impression that this is consider some sort of anarchy by the North end?

You do realize that we do not operate under a democracy?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
wrobert, you well know two wrongs don't make a right. It is ludicrous for us to have the population we have this time of year and literally law enforcement is 31 miles away. I know deputies patrol, but how often? I haven't seen one since the one that came to our walkover on a complaint from Bella Vita about someone looking through binoculars at their units. It was me and a board member looking at deteriorating flashing on the underside of their roof. The point is we don't see much of a Sheriff's presence on Blue Mt. Beach. I, for one, would like to see more of one since it is a fact the majority of the taxes collected in this county come from South of the bay.

No a matter of wrongs making a right. It is a matter of what level of service that people are willing to pay for. I am still waiting to hear back from anyone that has spoken to the Sheriff about their concerns and see what his future plans are. I would only hope that law enforcement is being deployed in some matter other than sending more to the places that pay the most taxes. I always though that sort of thing would be based on where the most crime was occurring.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
No a matter of wrongs making a right. It is a matter of what level of service that people are willing to pay for. I am still waiting to hear back from anyone that has spoken to the Sheriff about their concerns and see what his future plans are. I would only hope that law enforcement is being deployed in some matter other than sending more to the places that pay the most taxes. I always though that sort of thing would be based on where the most crime was occurring.

I sent an email to the Sheriff--could not find an address for a Public Information Officer--email came back as "invalid address" the Sheriff's website is "under construction" so I guess the emails don't work:dunno:

Sent an email to Chris Mitchell the Couty PIO to see if he could shed any light; so far no answer.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I sent an email to the Sheriff--could not find an address for a Public Information Officer--email came back as "invalid address" the Sheriff's website is "under construction" so I guess the emails don't work:dunno:

Sent an email to Chris Mitchell the Couty PIO to see if he could shed any light; so far no answer.

Are you that shocked on a Friday afternoon? Good luck if you ever get a response from Chris Mitchell.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com

Did you send it to madkinson@waltonso.org? I think his secretary is tgodwin@waltonso.org. sheriff@waltonso.org also might get to him. Chris Mitchell said that the SO website is suppose to be online next month at a meeting I attended on Thursday.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Are you that shocked on a Friday afternoon? Good luck if you ever get a response from Chris Mitchell.

Well, I actually did get a response from Chris: he said he would look into and get back to me on Monday.:;-);-)

Oath

Beach Comber
Mar 29, 2009
Open

As I understand it, the Substation will be open everyday, from 8am to 5pm to "serve our needs". I think it should be staffed 24/7. Yes, deputies have access to the building, but someone travelling through town or just passing by should have a safe building to go into and report an incident or crime.

Many people also use the local police/sheriffs offices to do a child exchange, when there is visitation, etc.

SoWal pays a lot of $$$ to this county, we deserve better service.

As I understand it, the Substation will be open everyday, from 8am to 5pm to "serve our needs". I think it should be staffed 24/7. Yes, deputies have access to the building, but someone travelling through town or just passing by should have a safe building to go into and report an incident or crime.

Many people also use the local police/sheriffs offices to do a child exchange, when there is visitation, etc.

SoWal pays a lot of $$$ to this county, we deserve better service.

So which is it, is it closed or is it open 8-5? If it is open during business hours and you can get the usual services, then that would be OK. If it is closed and I am required to drive to DFS to get a report or fingerprinting, etc, then that is unacceptable. 24/7 office hours are not realistic. No other government office maintains such hours.:dunno: