1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Some wind damage from Katrina Preventable by Codes

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Paula, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

In the aftermath of Katrina and other hurricanes, like others I've been thinking about the risk to people and property during storms. Here's an excerpt from the Wall Street Journal this morning that's useful:

"A preliminary study of wind damage caused by Hurricane Katrina says 79% of it could have been prevented if houses had been fitted to modern building codes, like those adopted in South Florida following Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Louisiana is one of only a handful of states that has no statewide building codes, and many cities and towns don't have codes...By using impact-resistant windows and stronger doors, 45% of the damage would have been prevented, while improved roofing techniques such as so-called hurricane clips and better nailing of shingles would have prevented 31%."

2. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

morse or binary? - sorry, old ham radio joke

still if all the houses were brand new there would have still been some houses damaged

hindsight is always 20-20

3. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

and where are they rebuilding them - right in the same hole

should have moved the whole thing, history and all,when they had the chance

think of the massive employment that would have raised when an army of workers would have been needed to be hired and trained and to have them labor for years to move the complete entire city to higher and dryer land

4. Beachlover2

Beachlover2 Beach Fanatic

The city of Hilo Hawaii was wiped out in a tsunami in the early 60's - as a result they have replaced the downtown area with beautiful parks and walkways along the coast - with the city behind it all. This way if it happens again - hopefully just the parks will be flooded. It really has made for a much prettier coastline for all to enjoy.

5. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

You remember the statue of KIng Kamehameha that was there in the park? It marks the spot where the old fish market stood, and they just moved the whole thing, board by board and fish by fish, to where it stands today. The displaced people's lives had meaning once again as they all helped to move the whole place. A monumental job, you must say! Neat stuff. But, alas, we have no king, just a jester and a puppet.

6. Beachlover2

Beachlover2 Beach Fanatic

Yes I saw the King - some people don't like Hawaii - say it is too commercial - but if you get involved in the culture - it is truly amazing. We have good friends that were raised in Hawaii and still have family in Hilo. The same day I went to visit the King I saw a pick-up truck filled with snow - they took it to the beach and built a real snowman - even though it only lasted for a few hours. The mountains had received so much snow that the roads were close up there - while down in Hilo it was 80. I love to travel!!!! When I am 80 and can't do it anymore - at least I will have my memories and photo albums of all we have seen and experienced.