• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I don't have a problem with packs of serious bicyclists sharing the road with cars. What I do have a problem with is the following: Yesterday I cut south on 283 to get from 98 to 30A. I quickly came upon a line of cars three deep going about 8mph. In front was a green minivan with hazards blinking, limping along...I figured the van had a blowout or mechanical problem. Then the two cars ahead of me blew by the van over a double line. I had to travel behind the van for a few minutes, then I passed. As it turned out, the van was tailing a crew of maybe 6 people on bikes (piloted by the serious types in spandex). The van was running interference so the bikers could bike in peace. That is wrong. I understand the concept of sharing the road, but if bicyclists choose to use the roads (which were designed for cars), then I think they need to accept the risks of such and proceed with caution as close to the shoulder as possible.

OK, I am off my soapbox, slings and arrows welcome.:roll:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I totally agree. Someone needs to point out to them that THEY need to share also. Just because Florida is a bike friendly state doesnt mean that we cancel everything so they can ride in peace.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
coming from a road biker, I completely agree. I've even been in 50K and 100K fun races and when we are out on the open road, we may be five across, but people will yell up the line as a vehicle approaches and we will shrink down to no more than two wide, and that is without having to establish such in advance. It's just what you do, if you are a decent person.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Just had a question -- Was there a guy driving the van, and the bikers all girls? That would give the guy driving the van an excuse.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
I think the culture around here is great and the bike paths a tremendous concept. I have noticed 'serious' bicyclists riding in the road here along 30a. When traffic is a bit heavy, it stacks up at times. I can understand riding in the road when there is no alternative, but I just don't undertsnad why the bike path isn't used, when it's like, 4 feet away from where the road is. I'm still not sure what I am missing about them using the path made for, well, bikes.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
On a completely different note... something else that ticks me off is people that pull out into MY lane of traffic to pass a bicycler forcing ME to stop when the bike is in THEIR lane. I have almost had countless head on collisions due to this. Do the other drivers not realize that THEY are required to stop until it is SAFE TO PASS and come over into MY lane of traffic?

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I think the culture around here is great and the bike paths a tremendous concept. I have noticed 'serious' bicyclists riding in the road here along 30a. When traffic is a bit heavy, it stacks up at times. I can understand riding in the road when there is no alternative, but I just don't undertsnad why the bike path isn't used, when it's like, 4 feet away from where the road is. I'm still not sure what I am missing about them using the path made for, well, bikes.

We go over this about every 6 months. The standard answer still applies:

You can't ride a short-wheelbase, nervous road bike on the bumpy and poorly paved bike path at 20 MPH while dodging walkers, runners, and casual pedalers on cruiser bikes. Dangerous to you, dangerous to the other folks.

If 30A isn't a good place for a road bike, one doesn't exist. Flat, no trucks, slow speed limit, limited through traffic.

Why is everyone resentful of cyclists, but supportive of stopping at the crosswalk for beachgoers? :dunno:

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
We go over this about every 6 months. The standard answer still applies:

You can't ride a short-wheelbase, nervous road bike on the bumpy and poorly paved bike path at 20 MPH while dodging walkers, runners, and casual pedalers on cruiser bikes. Dangerous to you, dangerous to the other folks.

If 30A isn't a good place for a road bike, one doesn't exist. Flat, no trucks, slow speed limit, limited through traffic.

Why is everyone resentful of cyclists, but supportive of stopping at the crosswalk for beachgoers? :dunno:

I'm not resentful of them at all, but I expect them to share the road, too. Single file in traffic, and we're good. I passed a solitary biker on the backroads (of Georgia) today who was at least 2 feet to the left of the white line. I don't even have a problem with that--I know that the area around the white line can be treacherous in places. But what is the excuse for riding 4 deep with a pace car behind them? That's not "sharing," that's hogging.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Hey, Skunky, don't drive the back road through WaterCooler. You will have a heart attack when you see the kids on slow bikes weaving back and fourth across both lanes of the road, eight people wide in some packs.