• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
From WZEP

SOUNDING THE ALARM

Commissioners Approve Study to Merge Fire/Rescue with Sheriff
Keeping good on her promise, freshman Commissioner Melanie Nipper proposed a feasibility study at Tuesday’s commission meeting to merge Walton County Firefighters and Paramedics with the Sheriff’s Office

Nipper made the proposal after several fire/rescue personnel approached her and Commissioner Tony Anderson about deplorable living conditions at some of the county’s aging facilities.

“I think it would be worth it, to consider it,” said Nipper. The Commissioner suggested enlisting the aid of personnel from Broward and Citrus counties, the only two counties in Florida to accomplish such a move, in helping evaluate where the county stands in terms of resources and personnel.

Commissioners heard from several firefighters who complained about mold and other maintenance issues at primarily the Freeport and Paxton fire stations. They cited health problems and low morale and said they believed by turning operations over to Sheriff Michael A. Adkinson, Jr., he could turn things around.

Chairman Cecilia Jones asked how much such a study would cost and who would pay for it. County Administrator Larry Jones estimated the cost of a study would be between $20,000 to $25,000 dollars and could take several months to complete by the time contracts were drawn up, reviewed and awarded.

Commissioner Sara Comander was clearly impatient with such a delay. “If we need to fix these stations, why wait,?” she asked. Comander said the board should spend the money now to fix critical issues. Comander concurred with the study however, she said she felt strongly that any study be done by an independent organization and “out of house.”

Comander complemented Sheriff Adkinson on management of the Sheriff’s office but noted his office already receives 54% of the county’s budget and he already controls the jail, animal control, emergency communications and, just recently moved to acquire responsibility for the Department of Children and Families.

Commissioner Tony Anderson said he was appalled at the living conditions in two of the facilities and supported urgent action.

Commissioners peppered Walton County Fire Chief Bobby Martin about budget priorities. Martin said he was doing the best with what he had and informed commissioners that construction was already underway at the Freeport facility and workers would begin on the Paxton station next. “It’s always a budget issue,” Martin told WZEP. “We do all we can with what they (the commission) give us.”

Firefighters complained about the delay in action and slow pace of change. Since Martin took command of the 100 member agency two years ago, he has made numerous improvements. With a budget of $10 million dollars, he manages all fire and rescue services north of Choctawhatchee Bay with the exception of Argyle and Liberty independent fire districts.

Battallion Chief Robert Daniels said Martin is doing the best he can with what he has.”He has brought us into compliance with the State Fire Marshal’s standards, achieved new standards with respiratory guidelines with the DOH, delivered 4 new ambulances with two more on the way, 2 new tanker trucks and increased manpower to ensure there are at least two firefighters on every truck.” However, Daniels says one of Martin’s biggest accomplishments is enhancing the insurance fire rating for residents. “We went from and 8 or 9 to within a quarter of a point of being awarded a 4 now,” said Daniels.

Local Resident Mike Flynt suggested Commissioners consider raising the current $75 assessment on homeowners to $150 to pay for needed improvements.

Commissioners voted unanimously to commission a study, which will not get underway until early spring. In the meantime, commissioners, the fire chief and firefighters will hold a workshop to address immediate concerns.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
NOT related to South Walton Fire District, an excellent fire and emergency department. We're so lucky to have this professional fire department dedicated to our beach town. We may have no government but we have GREAT emergency responders!

Just want to clarify SWFD is all good. I am hoping Walton County does whatever is needed to address these issues for public safety and emergency responders in the rest of the county.

Last edited:

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
I agree. We are however one county and it is our governments responsibility to address these issues.

Sara Comander said herself the problems are there, they are real and they need to be fixed. Find the money and get it done! Peoples lives depend on it.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I agree. We are however one county and it is our governments responsibility to address these issues.

Sara Comander said herself the problems are there, they are real and they need to be fixed. Find the money and get it done! Peoples lives depend on it.
Commissioner Comander was not initially for the fix until after some of the other board members and audience members started to explain of the conditions. She talked about the house she lives in and how old the carpets were. Although I like Commissioner Comander, living in a house that you chose to not upgrade is not the same as living in a structure that houses multiple folks who work for you and has issues you are responsible for. I also believe Mr Flynt was incorrect on the amount for the MSBU for the fire tax. I believe the number is in the 350 to the 375 range. I would also like to know what the difference between the fire budget portion and the EMS portion of the budget is? Even if the County charged the full 375 MSBU which is what I think it is, the budget would be less that what they currently have unless it is supplemented with EMS moneys.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
Commissioner Comander was not initially for the fix until after some of the other board members and audience members started to explain of the conditions. She talked about the house she lives in and how old the carpets were. Although I like Commissioner Comander, living in a house that you chose to not upgrade is not the same as living in a structure that houses multiple folks who work for you and has issues you are responsible for. I also believe Mr Flynt was incorrect on the amount for the MSBU for the fire tax. I believe the number is in the 350 to the 375 range. I would also like to know what the difference between the fire budget portion and the EMS portion of the budget is?

The house she referred to was not her personal home it was her office space located behind the Courthouse.

Something is inherently wrong when a Commissioner can spend 50k (a grant) and 6000.00 (taxpayer money) on an office desk but can't address the issues for firefighters and EMS. I won't even mention the $17500.00 check the County is fixing to have to write to Suzanne Harris. Life is all about priorities.

Last edited:

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
The Budget is approximately 10.2 million for 2017. Of that budget about 880,000 is from the special Fire assessment. If you were to increase the Fire assessment to the $330.00 as identified in the now 4 year old study the total would be approximately 3.8 million dollars.

I'm truly confused by the "transfer" request as the issue seems to be "living conditions". The only solution to an upgrade of living conditions requires money. Unless the Sheriff had a "money tree" in his yard that produces "dollars" the issue can only be addressed from funds from the BCC.

Part of the presentation by fire fighters stated the Sheriff had "streamlined" operations for those he had brought under his "umbrella". A review of budgets & expenditures do not beard that statement out.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
The blame for this mess fall squarely on the BCC and the prior set of Commissioners.

For years, they had been told what they SHOULD be charging people. Only charging $75 for years and years has gotten you exactly what you pay for. A mess.

C. Jones was on the BCC during this time and we'll need to check how she voted if that increase was ever up for a vote.

Bob Wells is right, the figure (estimate from the study) is much higher, upper $300 if I recall.

Charge people the right amount of tax and you'd be surprised what you get. Instead, they all choose to hit up the "rich" south end people to pay for their services. I believe there is a lengthy post on all of this from about one or two years ago.

As for WCSO having Fire / EMS under their roof, that's simply too much already. Next we'll be doing studies to have WCSO take over Mosquito Control and the Trash Collection.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
The Budget is approximately 10.2 million for 2017. Of that budget about 880,000 is from the special Fire assessment. If you were to increase the Fire assessment to the $330.00 as identified in the now 4 year old study the total would be approximately 3.8 million dollars.

I'm truly confused by the "transfer" request as the issue seems to be "living conditions". The only solution to an upgrade of living conditions requires money. Unless the Sheriff had a "money tree" in his yard that produces "dollars" the issue can only be addressed from funds from the BCC.

Part of the presentation by fire fighters stated the Sheriff had "streamlined" operations for those he had brought under his "umbrella". A review of budgets & expenditures do not beard that statement out.

And how much money has already been spent on feasibility studies? (4 or 5 of them?)

I do agree it is a BCC problem. Find the money and get it done and stop wasting taxpayer money on lawsuits you know you can't win and office desks you don't need (at least not $6000.00 worth of desk) and address the issues in this County and not private agendas.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
And how much money has already been spent on feasibility studies? (4 or 5 of them?)

I do agree it is a BCC problem. Find the money and get it done and stop wasting taxpayer money on lawsuits you know you can't win and office desks you don't need (at least not $6000.00 worth of desk) and address the issues in this County and not private agendas.
I'm sure not many know about the $6k desk. That's a good one. Wonder if there is an invoice?