South Walton Artificial Reefs at Grayton Beach State Park

Discussion in 'Sports and Recreation' started by Teresa, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
  2. SlowMovin

SlowMovin Beach Fanatic

Walton county owes Donna Amend (shown above) a HUGE thank you for putting this together. She's been the driving force behind making this happen.

3. elo

elo Beach Crab

What are the locations of the other artificial reefs and what are the deployment dates?

4. Teresa

For now the only Reef is at Grayton Beach State Park. They are still adding to it.

But, more reefs to be added to other beach sites such as Inlet beach, Topsail Park, Miramar Beach... Do not know timetable.

5. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

6. TimeIsFree

TimeIsFree Beach Comber

Wow so they placed them in the water a week or so ago. Too cool! How's the swim out to them? I got down here yesterday and would love to check this out. Anybody been out there yet?

Surf was up a bit today and am trying to imagine how far out I'd be swimming to reach this reef. I understand not much is probably happening yet creature wise, but am curious if taking some sort of raft / flotation device and anchoring might be advisable. Free divers usually utilize some sort of float / flag thing, but I've not really looked into it yet.

Headed to the jettyies at St. andrews in the next couple mornings but would love to check this if water was not as rough as today. Heard earlier in the week it was FLAT. Kinda surprised nobody has posted about this new reef?!?

Wake up! I'm gonna poke ya if you don't wake up! - Widespread Panic

7. Mike Jones

Mike Jones Beach Fanatic

Diver Down Flag
    To caution nearby boaters, Florida law requires divers and snorkelers to display a “diver down” flag when in the water. The flag is a red square with a diagonal white strip extending across from the top left corner to the bottom right corner. Wire or stiffener is used to keep the flag extended. This flag must adhere to certain measurement guidelines. It must measure at least 20 by 24 inches if displayed on a boat, and at least 12 by 12 inches if on a towed buoy.

kayak_diver-down.jpg

Requirements for Boaters and Snorkelers
    Boaters must try to stay at least 300 feet away from dive flags in open waters, and 100 feet away in rivers, inlets and navigation channels. Boaters who must approach a diver down flag must slow to the minimum speed. Likewise, a snorkeler must also take care to stay within 300 feet of his flag in open waters and within 100 feet when in rivers, inlets or navigation channels.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
  8. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

swara-gbsp.jpg

swara-gbsp-coordinates.png

In this photo, boat location shows how far off the beach reefs are found.

150710grayton2113000.jpg

9. DuneAHH

DuneAHH Beach Fanatic

Check out the incredible growth after a mere 2 months (Turtle Reef at Grayton Beach State Park)!

10. TJMay

TJMay Beach Lover

That's awesome!

Thanks for the update...

11. Teresa

Absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing with us. SWARA just announced more Reef deployment coming to this Grayton Beach State Park Reef location starting early Saturday morning, and going through part of Sunday.

12. DuneAHH

DuneAHH Beach Fanatic

Changed: Deployment commences @ dawn on FRIDAY Oct.2nd continuing into part of Saturday :)

13. Teresa

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  14. TimeIsFree

TimeIsFree Beach Comber

I will be down there next week and am excited to check this out in my kayak. Really surprised there has not been more comments from people who have been out there on this. Hoping for calm seas next week :)

15. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

The reef is excellent! I go often in my kayak. Weve had some rougher weather recently, so i havent been out as much. But it's really starting to attract the critters. Fishing there is great. And you'll see dolphins, sea turtles, all types of fish and birds. I saw people snorkeling and diving there this summer and the water is still plenty warm. Haven't done it myself, but it looks like fun.

16. TimeIsFree

TimeIsFree Beach Comber

Thanks for the update JT. I look forward to checking it out. Where are you launching your kayak from when you go here? Trying to get my bearings from the picture and where i might park to get close.

17. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

I launch from Grayton, either from the Garfield access or the Western Lake boat ramp at the end of Hotz. From there, the reef is maybe a 1/2 mile paddle toward the state park. In the 2016 aerial photos, you can actually see the reef! I attached a picture. Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 10.54.26 AM.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. TimeIsFree

TimeIsFree Beach Comber

so cool it shows up in the images now, THANKS FOR THE INFO!!! I hope to see this in person today, perhaps! The water has been fantastic!

19. Dreamer

Dreamer Beach Lover

Shouldn't fishing be illegal at a reef?

20. raven316

raven316 Beach Lover