• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
If you want to do it yourself instead of hiring a service this is useful info.

Q: Do I need a permit? If so, how much does it cost?

A: Yes. Permits must be obtained through the South Walton Fire District. Applications are processed Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. at 911 N County Highway 393 in Santa Rosa Beach. Permit fees are $50 (cash or check). Credits cards are accepted and a convenience fee is added. Call 850-267-1298 to get started.

Q: Where can I have a bonfire in South Walton?

A: Bonfires are allowed on the majority of beaches within South Walton (parks are regulated by the state of Florida). In fact, more than 3,000 beach bonfire permits were granted in 2017.

Q: Are there certain times of day/year when bonfires are allowed?

A: Bonfires are allowable 365 days a year and there are no restrictions on whether they are held during the day or at night. The number of bonfires held at a particular beach access are limited to avoid any congestion.

Q: What requirements/rules must I follow?

A: To obtain a bonfire permit, you must be at least 18 years of age. The person who obtains the permit must be present during the hours the bonfire is held and the approved permit must be on-site. Fire officials and law enforcement officials have the right to check for permit compliance. During turtle season (May 1 – Oct. 31), bonfires must maintain a distance of 200 feet from any turtle nest, 50 feet from vehicles, public roads, structures, and plants and vegetation.

Bonfire containers must be used and approved by the SWFD at the time of permit issuance. Approved containers include galvanized metal tubs, fire pits or burn barrels that are no larger than four feet in diameter. Keep in mind that there is a required three foot clearance at all time from combustible materials. It’s a good idea to keep water or another type of device used to extinguish fires nearby.

Q: Am I responsible for cleaning up the bonfire when I’m done?

A: Yes. When you are through with your bonfire, all ashes and materials must be wet down with water and removed from the beach. The idea is to return the beach to the same condition as it was before the bonfire. Bonfire pits and any evidence of or remnants from fires must be removed from the beach by 1:00 a.m. and cannot be deposited in TDC beach garbage collection stations.

For more information about bonfires, visit www.swfd.org or call 850-267-1298.