• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Some research study finding on Class Size

Overall, the pattern of findings drawn from existing research leads to the following three conclusions:

1. A consensus of research indicates that class size reduction in the early grades leads to higher student achievement. Researchers are more cautious about the question of the positive effects of class size reduction in 4th through 12th grades. The significant effects of class size reduction on student achievement appear when class size is reduced to a point somewhere between 15 and 20 students, and continue to increase as class size approaches the situation of a 1-to-1 tutorial.

2. The research data from the relevant studies indicate that if class size is reduced from substantially more than 20 students per class to below 20 students, the related increase in student achievement moves the average student from the 50th percentile up to somewhere above the 60th percentile. For disadvantaged and minority students the effects are somewhat larger.

3. Students, teachers, and parents all report positive effects from the impact of class size reductions on the quality of classroom activity.

Archived: Reducing Class Size: What Do We Know?, Revised Full Text

Andy, I think you have too much faith in the schoolboard to keep classrooms at a reasonable size. I think external pressures and politics would have class size ballooning without regard to students sooner rather then later.

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Overall, the pattern of findings drawn from existing research leads to the following three conclusions:

1. A consensus of research indicates that class size reduction in the early grades leads to higher student achievement. Researchers are more cautious about the question of the positive effects of class size reduction in 4th through 12th grades. The significant effects of class size reduction on student achievement appear when class size is reduced to a point somewhere between 15 and 20 students, and continue to increase as class size approaches the situation of a 1-to-1 tutorial.

2. The research data from the relevant studies indicate that if class size is reduced from substantially more than 20 students per class to below 20 students, the related increase in student achievement moves the average student from the 50th percentile up to somewhere above the 60th percentile. For disadvantaged and minority students the effects are somewhat larger.

3. Students, teachers, and parents all report positive effects from the impact of class size reductions on the quality of classroom activity.

Archived: Reducing Class Size: What Do We Know?, Revised Full Text

not to mention good common sense - keeping class size within a reasonable limit, if you plan to effectively provide an education to children. far more important than testing, imo. "the test" is proving detrimental to schools and children, not limits on class size.

I understand parents having concerns about the fifth grade class location. Is it about class size? or is it about expecting more consistency and stability from the local school system? Parents have the right and responsibility to expect excellence - but it takes commitment and involvement on the part of parents. I think our community is filled with great people who enjoy getting involved, have much to contribute, and make a real difference.. and that's a good thing. Parent involvement will help make our schools better in the long run.

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Andy, I think you have too much faith in the schoolboard to keep classrooms at a reasonable size. I think external pressures and politics would have class size ballooning without regard to students sooner rather then later.
I undestand what you are saying and once again I am letting personal experiences get in the way of liberal studies and common sense. Now that I'm through being snarky, I was raised in a school system where class size was not even thought of, let alone mandatory. BTW, my town size at the time was approximately 60,000. To clarify, I do not think class size is an overall answer but I do believe that different school districts have class size problems that would be better solved at that level rather than the state level.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I undestand what you are saying and once again I am letting personal experiences get in the way of liberal studies and common sense. Now that I'm through being snarky, I was raised in a school system where class size was not even thought of, let alone mandatory. BTW, my town size at the time was approximately 60,000. To clarify, I do not think class size is an overall answer but I do believe that different school districts have class size problems that would be better solved at that level rather than the state level.

most issues, for that matter, could be better resolved at the local level, depending on the needs of the community. but there is such a push to increase education standards for all children that we end up with a one size fits all, very standardized kind of system. testing being the foundation. limited class size is even more important when you must treat/teach all children the same (when all children are not the same).

I would LOVE to see independent school boards, run by hired (not elected) leaders, providing excellence in leadership (some progressive cities actually do this). Studies are not "liberal" or political - they are critical and they help improve education delivery, and help us to continually move towards excellence. Unfortunately, politics (not research) get in the way of progress much of the time.

I would say that research needs to be conducted (asap) on the effectiveness and outcomes of THE TEST! What does it really measure? Is the curriculum too narrow due to teaching a test? Are children learning or are they learning to take a test?

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think having max class sizes is a great thing - especially considering how HUGE of a difference it makes.

Individual communities can do what they want within those guidelines.

Colleges do not have max class sizes, so they are free to set their own - and some of the results are appalling.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
most issues, for that matter, could be better resolved at the local level, depending on the needs of the community. but there is such a push to increase education standards for all children that we end up with a one size fits all, very standardized kind of system. testing being the foundation. limited class size is even more important when you must treat/teach all children the same (when all children are not the same).

I would LOVE to see independent school boards, run by hired (not elected) leaders, providing excellence in leadership (some progressive cities actually do this). Studies are not "liberal" or political - they are critical and they help improve education delivery, and help us to continually move towards excellence. Unfortunately, politics (not research) get in the way of progress much of the time.

I would say that research needs to be conducted (asap) on the effectiveness and outcomes of THE TEST! What does it really measure? Is the curriculum too narrow due to teaching a test? Are children learning or are they learning to take a test?

I just returned from an national conference on education--across the board the consensus of the educators there (teachers, principles, college presidents, counsellors, advisors--all levels of education represented) were that we need to get the politicians and their tests out of the classrooms! Quite revealing to hear people from all over the country talk about the same problems.
I, too, believe the local school officials need tohave more authority--but, even more than that, they need to listen to the teachers more and the teachers need to find their voices and speak up!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I was thinking about this earlier and questioning why if it was such a unanimous opinion no real action has been taken.

Has it not been a higher priority than financial/time/benefit concessions?

Seriously, one of the teachers' unions in Wisconsin had it written into the school district contract that the school district had to pay a much larger premium for health insurance from the company owned by the union.

Others had domestic partner health insurance benefits (for unmarried straight people, not gays).

How hard could diminishing the importance of standardizing tests be - IF it was a priority?

I would really like for my children to know how to make change....:roll: Yes, they may score perfectly well on a math test, but if making change for a $20, or speaking face to face and having conversation with people is not learned, then my children aren't going to be very intelligent as children or as grown ups. (was that was a run on sentence) :lol:

My teachers called this "book smart, life dumb." They didn't accept it as an option and kept taking away our technology and trying to trick us.

A classic was the pop quiz where the directions said "read all questions thoroughly before beginning". If you actually followed those directions you would find that the second to last question said "make sure you spelled your name correctly and turn in your paper."

Last edited: