South Walton Sports Complex Update

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by WCTA, Jul 28, 2009.

1. WCTA

WCTA Beach Lover

Walton TDC seeking proposals for sports complex / arts facility on 102 acres

The TDC is seeking proposals for a sports complex facility to sit on approximately 102 acres. Page 22 details to proposed additions to facilities.

I have attached a copy of the RPF for everyone to study.

Are they proposing an additional 1/2 cent bedtax to fund ?

Where is the citizen involvement in this complex ?

View attachment 13793

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  2. beachFool

beachFool Beach Fanatic

We should at least look at what it would cost and what revenue it would produce.

So what if it is a 1/2 cent bed tax? Tourists would be paying it.

We need more baseball fields in South Walton and so much the better if we can get tourists to pay for it.

FYI-no kids either

3. BeachSiO2

BeachSiO2 Beach Fanatic

I looked at the attachment and it appears to be an RFP to conduct a Feasibility Study to determine the feasibility of a sports AND arts complex for Walton County. I believe it stems from community requests for both.

In my experience with other feasibility studies, they would typically include a component of citizen involvement. Additionally, they typically include a financial feasibility analysis to evaluate exisiting and possible future revenue streams. I guess my point is that I don't see any proposal to raise bed taxes or exclude citizen input as that's what led to the study.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

Be nice if they could get a pool as part of that sort of complex. Doesn't have to be as big as Frank Brown Park, but something similar to the Destin YMCA would be a community asset.

5. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Generally a public facility isn't a revenue generator. That being said I'm all for it.

6. Busta Hustle

Busta Hustle Beach Fanatic

so is the TDC sitting on 102 acres already owned by them?:dunno:

7. BeachSiO2

BeachSiO2 Beach Fanatic

Generally speaking, the TDC is a county agency and does not own any land. They only manage lands owned by the County (i.e. beach and bay accesses).

8. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    Does the county own a lot of land that isn't set aside for conservation?

9. BeachSiO2

BeachSiO2 Beach Fanatic

I don't know for the County as a whole as I am more familiar with beach and bay accesses, and properties the TDC manages in Sowal. The planning department could probably answer that for you, or maybe WCTA has that info.

10. TooFarTampa

Thanks. It's easier just to ask the peanut gallery. :wave:

11. BeachSiO2

BeachSiO2 Beach Fanatic

I understand. :wave:

12. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Is NatureWalk 102 acres? (just kidding, but that would be nice)

13. sarawind

sarawind Beach Fanatic

Park sounds like a good thing.

14. JustBeachy

JustBeachy Beach Lover

Slips out of lurkdom to add my 2 pennies worth. This sounds like a great idea. A nice pool complex and baseball/softball fields could bring in extra revenue (as if Walton Co needs more tourists) in the form of tournaments and swim/diving meets...and honestly the more structured recreation available to the youngsters, the less free time for mischief. Or so the theory goes. I know I always found time for mischief...still do. :D

15. DavidD

DavidD Beach Fanatic

I am personally for more civic facilities in SoWal. That is about my only complaint with the area. Although I appreciate all of the local resort developments' green spaces, it would be great to have some spaces that are truly for the community, especially if it included ballfields or pools. I'm sure that the resort developments would like to keep their property reserved primarily for their guests. As far as the bed tax goes, I see it as the visiting population giving back to help maintain a healthy and happy SoWal. A yin yang or cosmic balance.

What would it take for the local government to create some indoor facilities for locals to use during the burning summer days and the colder winter days? The outdoors are truly magnificent in SoWal, but there are times when indoor space would be a welcome relief, especially now that the coastal library branch will be closed on Saturday.

16. Seasider

Seasider Beach Lover

Don't need it. Don't want it. Bed taxes should be going to maintain the beaches, not diverted to other spending.

17. TooFarTampa

A very brief search led me to some sports complex plans in my area in the past couple of years.

One opened in FishHawk Ranch (newer development) at a cost of just under $10 million for 70 acres. No pool, mostly fields, concessions, restrooms.

One proposal was for a very controversial $40 million project on over 400 acres, with a midsized stadium surrounded by other playing fields. As far as I know it is dead in the water.

It seems like the county is looking at a multi-use building for arts and sports, some fields, and hopefully a pool? I would be all for it but paying for it is another issue. As someone who communicates directly with renters on a frequent basis, I don't think expecting them to cough up additional dollars to pay for it is a good plan at this point. Maybe revenues will be up without raising the taxes by the time the plans are ready to go.

18. TooFarTampa

From re-reading the link in the original post, it appears the county is studying the feasibility of two separate facilities, possibly (probably?) in two separate places. Page 22 has a breakdown of what the sports complex would contain, and it doesn't appear to have the arts plans included in that breakdown of 102 acres. It doesn't seem to say how much space they would need for the arts complex, but I'm guessing the 5,000-10,000 seat facility alone needs plenty of room.

19. florida girl

florida girl Beach Fanatic

Coming from a family with no affiliation to sports, it's rather foreign to me. Is this part of a stimulus plan for our economy?

20. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Please re-read the thread and post again. :roll: