South Walton Sports Complex Update

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by WCTA, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Busta, I believe I recall wrobert saying that the people in South Walton had no business (say so) in establishing building heights in North Walton, so that probably works in the contrary, too. He doesn't likely want a say so in South Walton activities.

2. murphrg

murphrg Beach Comber

What land is available for this? Who is to pay for the land? Do they intend to get it from the State Forest like the County has always tried to do in the past? I think this is a great idea, if thought through properly and does not impact the Forest which makes south Waltin so very special.

3. DCFinSCB

DCFinSCB Beach Fanatic

I agree murph. I think the trees along US98 should be an established buffer to any more development on the corridor. As they cruise through South Walton, who wouldn't rather enjoy nature over a boatload of commercial eye clutter?

Not saying it is a perfect example, but Hilton Head Island (at least in the beginning of their development) took that into consideration. They made sure any signs were limited to a certain size, and they were very careful about conserving natural landscapes. Wouldn't be the worst example to take some cues from.

4. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

I don't use my real name and you still talk to me...;-)

5. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

And, although I didn't know it at the time of the earlier post, I think the employees of the TDC had other things on their mind today.

Prayers for Michele & Gilbert...RIP, Chase...:cry:

6. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Amen SN

7. idlewind

idlewind Beach Fanatic

Walton/Okaloosa County and a little south alabama

Does tend to put things in their proper perspective. My prayers as well to the Ray family.

8. greenesformula

greenesformula Beach Crab

priorities

I believe that we need to look at SoWal priorities before jumping into such a venture. Take a look at Eastern Lake. For several years it has been in the papers, courts, various govt. entities, etc... on the condition of the lake. Eastern Lake is one of South Waltons most beautiful and natural inlet lakes. One homeowner had taken it upon himself to dump construction grade sand near the inlet cut before a tropical storm which not only raised the inlet level with sand not letting in the natural seaflow and saltwater to keep the lake alive, but now the lake is a grassy, slime infested lake with the great fishing depleted and replaced by snakes, gators and who knows what else. Lets dredge this thing back to its original state, then we can look at a sports complex!

9. GoodWitch58

GoodWitch58 Beach Fanatic

where is the property?

10. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Oh look another Worth Williams basher. Just curious are you one of the fine folks that travels out to the outfall late at night under cover of dark to illegally open the outflow? While I don't agree with the sand that was placed there, the opening of the outflow manually is not going to fix the problem. If the area were left alone mother nature would correct herself. Of course no one ever mentions the property owner on the other side who keeps installing illegal dune fencing.

11. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

I'm surprised no one posted this little news item from yesterday.

Padgett Park to See Long-Awaited Construction

Padgett Park to See Long-Awaited Construction [​IMG]Save [​IMG]Email [​IMG]Print
    [​IMG] Posted: 10:08 PM Aug 10, 2009
    Last Updated: 10:08 PM Aug 10, 2009
    [​IMG]0 comments
    [​IMG]
    A | A | A
    A $1.4 million state grant will allow Walton County officials to begin developing Padgett Park in Santa Rosa[​IMG] Beach.
    Officials purchased the nearly 17-acres a land in 2007 in hopes of creating a recreational park.
    The park was named after a Walton County resident, Sergeant Timothy Padgett who was killed in Afghanistan[​IMG] in 2007.
    The county applied for the same grant in 2007 and 2008, but it was denied both times.
    Friday commissioner Cecilia Jones got good news that the state had award the county $1.4 million to begin construction on the land.
    Commissioner Jones is pleased with the unexpected news.
    "In these tough economic times it's really hard for families just to be at peace. So, I hope we'll have a park where they can go and relax with their families," says Jones.
    Construction is expected to begin by January of 2010.

12. GoodWitch58

yesteday was the first I'd heard of this. Anyone else have any idea it was being considered? Anyone know what is going into the park?

13. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

From the glimpse I saw on TV of the site plan it appeared to be some soccer fields and a large building. They didn't elaborate on the actual plans, but perhaps Mrs. Jones will have the same site plan at her office. She was interviewed for the story.

14. Just Curious

Just Curious Beach Fanatic

The plan that she had was put together so they could apply for the grant. There are no concrete details yet, and they are open to suggestion. I do think they wanted to put in some tennis courts, and playground equipment.

15. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

:rotfl::funn:

while we use and enjoy FBP quite a bit for swimming (and starting karate classes soon) I reallly really hope not to see this size/kind facility in SoWal. I totally agree with SJ... that we should certainly develop small scale parks/rec facilities, but we need to really take a good look at what we currently have and how we can best promote/utilize our natural resources, current lands, etc , etc. We are still very small town and blessed with unique recreational resources. we don't have to be Atlanta, or any other city. but we do need to do some visionary community planning so that we can bring the best and most suitable recreational and arts facilities to SoWal.

I will be interested in hearing whether the grant SWGB posted earlier has anything to do with the rec/play park that was proposed to the county last year.

I think you know what the heck you are talking about over there DCF - all great ideas!!! I hope you will be right there helping the community with this project - I especially like your master plan idea.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  16. GoodWitch58

I will be interested in hearing whether the grant SWGB posted earlier has anything to do with the rec/play park that was proposed to the county last year. by Tootsie

That is exactly what I was wondering. Where does the PlayPark fit into this....did anyone know about this before? Was there a naming ceremony? I have not seen anything about it in the news--maybe I missed it.
    And, the news story confuses me. It states the County bought the land; and now have a grant from Florida Forever that reimburses the county for the purchase...so, where is the money coming from to build the park?:dunno:

17. SGB

SGB Beach Fanatic

I don't know specifically what was in this year's grant application, but last year when the grant was applied for, we were talking about tennis and basketball courts with a small playground and I think some type of building. This is also the site that eventually a swimming pool was planned. This is great news about the grant.

The playpark is still planned to go into Helen McCall, although it is taking a long time !!!

18. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

As to the naming it is named after a Padgett that died in Iraq/Afghanistan. I'll ask Ray the next time I see him more about it. I'm assuming this is a relative.

19. GoodWitch58

thanks. I read that and I think that is great. I was just wondering if there had been a ceremony or announcement of the naming for the park. I think his mother works at the Annex, not sure if they are related to Ray, but probably. :D

20. GoodWitch58

Thanks. A pool would be wonderful. I am just surprised that there has been so little information about this. Or perhaps I just missed it. But, it seems like a pretty big deal to buy this land and request a grant for a good sized park, and have it already named, and I don't remember seeing any mention of it in the papers, or any ceremony for the naming...oh well.

I am glad the playpark is still going in at Helen McCall. What is taking so long?