• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
The last time I checked, the Massachusetts Cultural Coast is not in Florida. :roll:

SJ - I agree that Its not in Florida but we are now competing for tourist in an ever increasing target market. Branding has been and will continue to be a major portion of destination marketing. People google today and although I personally like the Phrase Cultural Coast it has been and continues to be marketed in the same areas where the TDC is headed to expand markets.

Many here are talking about Vision as if they are the only people that possess it. I believe that one must remember that the same group that has a Vision for Sports Complexes and Cultural Centers are the same people that had a vision that lead to the now infamous Big Blue Signs.

One should not confuse their vision of attracting more people to the area with a concern for our community and its full time residents. You spoke very directly to the potential costs associated with quality of life for residents once we build such facilities with marketing the area, bring more people here, filling the coffers with cash at the cost of a decrease in the true quality of life.

The TDC has one purpose - bringing more people here and their track records shows that their sensitivity to the "uniqueness of the area" is secondary to their primary mission. (Big Blue Signs come to mind)

I would rather have a "vision" of improving the quality of life, expanding the sense of community with a project developed for full time residents first and tourism second.

That I could support, would support and will be willing to pay my share of the costs to build and operate. If we are always willing to allow others to provide the necessary dollars to build develop and operate, we will get facilities built to attract tourist rather than improving the quality of life for our children and grandchildren.

Last edited:

DCFinSCB

Beach Fanatic
Jul 27, 2007
Ol' Point Washingtern, FL
That was a good post, I.G. I think unfortunately some people on both sides of the fence (like the idea or hate the idea) en-vision a giant monstrosity that sticks out like a sore thumb in plain view of US98 and all that live here.

I think there are other options, and we can do better than that. The idea of a Sportsplex, or perhaps smaller facilities spread out over the county, to serve the community first and to attract vacationer and full time residents alike is not a novel concept and not an idea that the TDC came up with all on their lonesome to stick it to the locals while lining their coffers. There are some genuine needs here now, which include more and better athletic, cultural arts, and entertainment facilities, and there is legitimate interest in making sure it is done right so that we take full advantage of and build on what makes South Walton this uniquely fantastic place we call home, and not ruin it.

Every summer and every year people consider whether they would like to make this their home, just as all of us have. And there are certainly no shortages of homes or lots in developments that they could take advantage of, instead of them sitting there empty. It is up to us as members of this community to make sure any growth is done responsibly, and I think that is ultimately what people want through the proposal of these athletic and arts facilities. Infrastructure such as this is important, and it may not be for everyone (I doubt everyone uses the library as well), but undoubtedly will enrich many of the lives of those who live here, as well as those who visit.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It's not just school kids who would use an indoor sports facility in Sowal - it's not only a draw, but it's a great health/fitness resource for the community as a whole. Water aerobics for seniors, swimming lessons or swim team for kids, evening sports leagues, you name it.

I know I would regularly use a facility with an indoor pool, tennis courts, raquetball, a track etc.

Yes, nature and parks are a nice way to get exercise, but not when it's rainy, buggy, hot, dark, red flag, jellyfishy, winter etc.

Last edited:

DCFinSCB

Beach Fanatic
Jul 27, 2007
Ol' Point Washingtern, FL
Plus, the term "preventive medicine" comes to mind. More health and fitness options, more healthy and fit people (of any age), less of our community in the hospital, hospice, and/or visiting doctors, and less of a financial cost to all of us.

Just one of many indirect benefits.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
looks like from the chart that of the 102 acres only half will be developed and the other half left as "wetland"...sure wish they would give us some parcel numbers.

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
looks like from the chart that of the 102 acres only half will be developed and the other half left as "wetland"...sure wish they would give us some parcel numbers.

We were told by one TDC Board member that they have not located the land at this time and the project may need to be spread over 2 sites, but that is unconfirmed.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
You might try Google ! Massachusetts Beat You To It !

View attachment 13860

Massachusetts Cultural Coast

Luckily they didn't throw the TM on the end so it's up for grabs.

That truly was a trick question, being as the answer is "none of the above." :cool:

And total tax is already at 12% in Bay County.

Thanks, forgot about their increase for the low cost air carrier.

Are you sure about Bay Counties total tax ? It appears to be 11%. 6% sales tax (no local option sales tax) + 5% bedtax.

Take another Aricept. I'll go with the expert here.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
Luckily they didn't throw the TM on the end so it's up for grabs.

Thanks, forgot about their increase for the low cost air carrier.

Take another Aricept. I'll go with the expert here.

I will also go with the expert and wait for her to answer the question.

Your constant reference to Aricept is growing old. I am not ashamed or embarassed with my medical diagnosis.
Posted via Mobile Device