• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
May to October is turtle season. Volunteers are needed to help walk the beaches and other duties. Find out more at the SWTW meeting 3/9/05 at 7pm at the South Walton Tourist Development Council building at 331 and US 98.

You may also call 850-897-5228.

http://www.seaturtlewatch.org

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Kurt, I wonder how the damage to the dunes will affect the turtles' nesting areas?

BTW, I would highly recommend taking part in this worthwhile project. There are few things more rewarding than walking the beach at daybreak and spotting tracks leading to a nest.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
JB said:
Kurt, I wonder how the damage to the dunes will affect the turtles' nesting areas?

BTW, I would highly recommend taking part in this worthwhile project. There are few things more rewarding than walking the beach at daybreak and spotting tracks leading to a nest.

They usually nest before the dunes. Our turtles are hurting. Each year there are fewer and fewer :cry:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
By going to the Seaturtle link Kurt posted, you will see a photo of the mess which the Perma-tents can cause for the sea turtles. Remember this when you think about leaving your perma camps up at Grayton and anywhere in SoWal.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Smiling JOe said:
By going to the Seaturtle link Kurt posted, you will see a photo of the mess which the Perma-tents can cause for the sea turtles. Remember this when you think about leaving your perma camps up at Grayton and anywhere in SoWal.
Isn't there some ordinance against leaving stuff on the beach overnight?

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Hey Kurt,

Thanks for reminder. Missed the March meeting 9 meeting but am assuming that I can give them a call and go to the training in April if they need a walker down my end.

Do you walk and if so is it hard to get someone to do your walk if you go away for a few days? I'd love to help the little guys cause but need those getaways periodically.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks Debbie

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Cork On the Ocean said:
Hey Kurt,

Thanks for reminder. Missed the March meeting 9 meeting but am assuming that I can give them a call and go to the training in April if they need a walker down my end.

Do you walk and if so is it hard to get someone to do your walk if you go away for a few days? I'd love to help the little guys cause but need those getaways periodically.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks Debbie

Someone will be able to cover you if you have to be away.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
kurt said:
Someone will be able to cover you if you have to be away.

And this is one more reason that I wish I lived down there with you wonderful folks. I would love to be able to help with this. I can support you in my thoughts and prayers though !!!!

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
Time to begin the search for visiting sea turtles
by Leda Suydan, Park Ranger

It?s time for another exciting season for the staff and volunteers to help monitor the nesting sea turtles. Topsail Hill Preserve State Park has 3.2 miles of beachfront with tall sand dunes that provide an excellent environment for nesting sea turtles.
Sea turtles are airbreathing reptiles that reside in the ocean waters practically their entire lives. It is fascinating to think that the sea turtles of today are closely related to an ancient species dating back 130 million years ago in the Cretaceous Period. This makes sea turtles among the oldest creatures on earth.
There are seven species of these ancient nomads: loggerhead, green turtle, leatherback, olive ridley, Kemp?s ridley, flatback and hawksbill. Three species nest on Florida?s beaches ? loggerheads, green and leatherback sea turtles.
Loggerheads are the most common sea turtle in Florida. They derive their name from their massive, block-like head. Adults can weigh an average of 275 pounds and have a carapace about three feet in length. Green sea turtles average 3.3 feet in length and weigh 350 pounds. This may seem large to most people; however, when compared to the leatherback it is minimal. Leatherbacks average six feet in length and weigh from 500 to 1,500 pounds. The largest recorded leatherback was nearly 10 feet in length and weighed more than 2,000 pounds. The interesting feature of this behemoth is its firm leathery skin, unlike the scales or scutes on the loggerhead.
Sea turtles usually nest from the beginning of May through October. Park rangers and volunteers ride or walk the beaches early every morning of turtle season, in hopes of discovering a freshly laid nest. At night, females will crawl on the beach and lay an average of 100 pingpong ball size eggs. The tracks they make in the sand tell a story of the activity from the night before.
Loggerheads have a distinctive alternating flipper crawl unlike the synchronized flipper crawl of the green and leatherbacks. These crawls are visible in the early morning and are
recorded and documented.
Also, the way they spread the sand tells us what type of turtle has hobbled on the beach to lay her precious eggs.
Looking at the activity from the night before also tells the observer if a nest was laid or if the sea turtle made a false crawl. A false crawl is when the female was not successful in laying a nest.
At Topsail Hill?s beaches, sea turtles usually make their way up into the first slope of the frontal dunes. This protects the eggs from high storm surges during hurricanes and tropical storms.
Last year a nest on the peak of the frontal dune system survived the forces of Hurricane Ivan. The hatchlings emerged a week after the storm and their tracks were seen heading directly to the water.
Hatchlings are able to crawl out of their chambers due to the female packing the sand after laying her eggs. Loosely packed sand makes it harder for the young ones to crawl out.
The first hatchlings emerge approximately eight weeks after the nest is made, usually occurring at night.
It is a myth that the hatchlings emerge only during a full moon.
The hatchlings have an inborn tendency to move to the brightest light source. The dark night sky with the moon reflected over the water creates a bright view, which acts as a beacon and attracts the hatchlings.
Sea turtles have had a difficult past, which attributes to their current population.
European settlers in the New World valued green sea turtles for their meat, hide, eggs and the fat attached to their lower shell called "calipee." The calipee is an ingredient that forms the basis of a popular green turtle soup. It is staggering to think 15,000 green sea turtles were shipped from Florida to England by 1875.
Today, the Federal Endangered Species Act protects threatened or endangered sea turtles.
Sea turtles are fascinating reptiles; however they face an uncertain future. They encounter many obstacles during their lifetime, including limited nesting places, pollutants, accidental drowning in fishing gear and collisions with boats. Hatchlings have several predators to encounter during their crawl to the ocean, including ghost crabs, dogs, raccoons, foxes, opossums and seagulls. Chairs on the beach along with other items and holes dug by children can be detrimental to the females and hatchlings that crawl on the beach.
Beachgoers can help sea turtles by removing trash, chairs and covering up holes.
If you are lucky enough to witness a sea turtle laying eggs or attempting to crawl on the beach, you should not disturb her. Sea turtles that sense danger or are harassed will usually crawl back in the water and release her eggs in the ocean.
If you stumble upon a dead or injured sea turtle, immediately contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Commission.
Topsail Hill Preserve State Park is active in the preservation of sea turtles. To volunteer for turtle monitoring this season at Topsail Hill, contact Leda Suydan at (850) 267-0299 or leda.suydan@dep.state.fl.us.