• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

audie

fartblossom
May 15, 2005
our blood bank here always refuses me because my normal body temp is around 99.5 so they always consider me to have a fever. i have an uncle with A- blood that started donating in vietnam, and has donated every 56 days or however long the minimum waiting period is. i have no clue how many gallons he has donated now.

an example of how one patient can affect everyone, at our hospital 2 weeks ago, a pt having a major surgery ended up using 193 units of blood in one week - our regional blood center was drained !

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
Smiling JOe said:
There are quite a number of questions asked in the screening process. Some of the basics that will prevent you from donating are noted below. It appears that it is the FDA who has placed a halt on donating if you lived abroad or visited during certain periods. Not noted on the list below is visiting New Orleans after Katrina passed through. I am uncertain as to the whys, but my guess is that there are still some unknowns on many diseases out and about, so it is easier to use an ounce of prevention rather than 15 pounds of symptom control.

I know that the screening process is different if donating platelets rather than red blood cells. However, on the mobile unit which comes to the Hospital, you cannot donate platelets only. They tried bringing that machine once, but it was not working well on the bus set-up.

Here is the link to www.nfbcblood.org where you may find more info regarding your question.

Potential Donor Eligibility Requirements:

Please carefully read the below eligibility requirements. If you do not meet the following requirements, you should not attempt to donate blood at this time.

Donors must be in generally good health

At least 17 years of age

Must bring picture ID

Weigh at least 110 lbs

Free of infection, fever or flu symptoms, for 3 days

No cancer within the last 5 years

No antibiotics within the last 48 hours

No tattoos within the past 12 months

No chest pain, heart disease, heart surgery (Requires written physician release with diagnosis)

No history of viral hepatitis

Additional FDA Restrictions effective May 31st 2002:

Cannot have lived in France for 5 years or more between 1980 and the present

Cannot have lived or visited in the UK for a total of 3 months or more from 1980 to 1996

Cannot have received a blood transfusion in the UK between 1980 and the present

Military personnel (current and former), and their dependents, who spent time in military bases in northern Europe during 1980-1990, or southern Europe during 1980-1996, for 6 months or more

All military personnel (active & reserve) that are returning from Iraq, are deferred for a period of 1 year after the last date on location in that country.

Thanks for the info SJ - I am definitely ruled out but applaud you for bringing this to Sowal's attention. It is wierd though because like I said I gave blood and platelets (yes, very different process) repeatedly in late 90's and early 2000 and suddenly rules changed. So be it. Good luck. I am with you all in spirit at least.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Chickpea said:
Thanks for the info SJ - I am definitely ruled out but applaud you for bringing this to Sowal's attention. It is wierd though because like I said I gave blood and platelets (yes, very different process) repeatedly in late 90's and early 2000 and suddenly rules changed. So be it. Good luck. I am with you all in spirit at least.
You probably noticed the date of May 31, 2002 when the FDA added the other guidelines regarding living in England and France. Perhaps more recently, they recieved new or unknown results of how Mad Cow or other diseases spread.

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
Smiling JOe said:
You probably noticed the date of May 31, 2002 when the FDA added the other guidelines regarding living in England and France. Perhaps more recently, they recieved new or unknown results of how Mad Cow or other diseases spread.

Nut wouldn't I know if I had contracted Mad Cow??

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Chickpea said:
Nut wouldn't I know if I had contracted Mad Cow??

Chickpea, I can't donate either. I did a study abroad in London. There isn't a proven connection between mad cow disease and the human version, but there is a possibility that they are related. Don't worry about it. You could be carrying the disease and not know it for years. In the meantime, something else might get ya. :shock:

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Bill donated double reds last week and our bloodbank was giving Jagger "Satisfaction" t-shirts. :cool: Now my daughter wants to give for the t-shirts. Ha! I think she really wants the "Imagine" shirt. :lol: She doesn't weigh enough, so I don't think she'll be stealing her dad's X-larges. ;-)

v9-Stones-websize.gif

v9-imagine-websize.gif

They also have an Aretha Franklin "Respect" and an Elvis one in the collection.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Now I could use one of those Imagine Tee's. I am happy to give without receiving a physical gift in return, but that would be a funn bonus. The mobile unit here gives out a tee shirt when you donate on your birthday month. I missed my birthday month because they didn't call to tell me they were coming, usually they call. Now, I have but it on my schedule to check their calendar online each month so that I stay in the routine of giving.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
bump

FYI - When you go to the Sacred Heart to donate today, don't look for the mobile unit (bus). They will now be taking blood donations in suite 3 (the brown trailer on the west end of the hospital). ;-) Hope to see you there. I will be the quiet one.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
ChickyPea,
Just as I suspected, according to the nurse screening me for my donation today, a person can carry Mad Cow (I forget the real name) for up to twenty years without showing any signs of it. To date, we have no way to detect a carrier of the disease so the FDA would like to prevent it from spreading more and they do this by illiminating you from being a donor if you have lived in England or visited for more than three months during the time period when it was found there.

I forgot to ask about choleterol screening with donations. :dunno: