• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

incredible1

Beach Lover
May 7, 2007
The recent proposed parking issues are just the start of an onslaught to Sowal businesses

Some of these proposals are so restrictive that you will not be able to do business, or rebuild, expand in the future. Don't believe "grandfathered in" its simply not the case

Please read below and decide for yourself.
We also want to bring to your attention that the County Attorney has drafted another ordinance that will add potentially
crippling regulations on outdoor event (over and beyond what is already in place). We are attaching a copy of the proposal for your review.
The ordinance was on Sept 24th BCC agenda for the county commission to schedule a public hearing. After making numerous contacts, we were able to change the request to direct staff to schedule workshops for the outdoor ordinance instead of adoption hearings.

CLICK HERE FOR PROPOSED Outdoor Events Roadside Business Receipts requirements Ordinance 9-6-2013 http://waltoncountysba.org/wp-conte...door-Events-Roadside-Fundraising-9-6-2013.pdf

In a nutshell: Any outdoor event by a person or entity will require a permit application for each event or gathering outdoors, ie each instance, 45 days ahead of time and by approval by the county, SWFD. This would effectively shut down any outdoor seating at restaurants, weddings, back yard parties by you or your family. There are further business restrictions within this proposed ordinance change, which will be addressed by the WCSBA board for calls to action.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I thought a permit was already necessary for an outdoor event? What is is being added?

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
It's a biatch being a victim of your own success. Regulation is a part of daily life and getting worse - just look at what has happened in our federal gov't. over the past 5 years. Can't get what you want through normal channels? Then just write another regulation and go around the people.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
I thought a permit was already necessary for an outdoor event? What is is being added?

It is, with certain exemptions. The existing ordinance is attached.
The only proposed changes I have seen are to the definition of outdoor events to clarify that it is still considered an outdoor event if no admission fee is charged and to add marches, parades, organized bicycle and pedestrian races to the definition.

Attachments

• 1376.pdf
    52.2 KB · Views: 173

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks Miz Notebook. The existing one appears to be fairly straightforward, the additions commonsense and normal regulations in other communities. SoWal has so many more nonprofits and events than ever, so at some point there has to be an update to the rules, or am I really missing something here?

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Thanks Miz Notebook. The existing one appears to be fairly straightforward, the additions commonsense and normal regulations in other communities. SoWal has so many more nonprofits and events than ever, so at some point there has to be an update to the rules, or am I really missing something here?

It was my understanding that the plan was to be able to better regulate the "panhandling" at intersections through the special events ordinance with some minor changes made to the ordinance. I'm not sure how the tweaks they are proposing now will relate to that. Will post when I hear more, or maybe someone else has that information.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I think by requiring a deputy most "charities" will avoid panhandling as a means of fundraising.

incredible1

Beach Lover
May 7, 2007

ARTICLE II. OUTDOOR EVENTS
Sec. 4-26. DEFINITIONS
Outdoor event - shall mean any planned assemblage held
outdoors within the unincorporated areas of Walton County
3. Person - any natural person, firm, association, joint venture, partnership, estate,
trust, business trust, fiduciary, corporation, and all other groups and
combinations.

The way that's written is so narrow it can imply that 2 people or more that plan to go in their yard and discuss football and light your barbeque would need a permit 45 days in advance, signed off by the county and SWFD and WCSO for each instance...
Key point in definition:
Person - any natural person ( note that's SINGULAR)

Further, requesting business receipts, vendors, insurance and proof of ownership of premises. Its an over reach into private information, and once again is a sledgehammer to crack a nut, aimed at weddings, outdoor seating at restaurants, even charity events if you want to pitch a tent and gather, but written in such a way it affects individuals. Backyard boogie would be another example of needing a permit each instance. Its unconstitutional and is a giant legal implication for the county

Last edited:

incredible1

Beach Lover
May 7, 2007
It was my understanding that the plan was to be able to better regulate the "panhandling" at intersections through the special events ordinance with some minor changes made to the ordinance. I'm not sure how the tweaks they are proposing now will relate to that. Will post when I hear more, or maybe someone else has that information.

yes that is in there however is one aspect of the changes. Sure that needs addressed and is a small problem on 30a but not in the way this is written. Its a tack on to an attack on...
Its so restrictive that no one would be in compliance.