• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Ok. Toots and I have talked about this in the past. I think it's time to REALLY do it. A SoWal cookbook. I am willing to compile it and publish it in some format. Maybe we could have it done by Christmas? So, send me your favorites, your heirloom recipes (with stories), your tips & techniques, and your suggestions for a TITLE. Fire away. :wave:

p.s.--i'm really bored--i need a project.

OOPS! Didn't I promise to help get this started last January? :blush:

As a member of our junior league cookbook commitee, each recipe was prepped, and we had the group taste test it to get an accurate idea of prep time, cooking time, and the quality of the recipe. How will we do this since we don't all live in the same geographic area? Or do we just trust the person submitting the recipe?

Here's our recipe collection form:

Recipe Collection Form

For questions email someone@somedomain.com.

RECIPE TITLE:
RECIPE CATEGORY: (Circle One)
Appetizers Beverages Soups/Stews
Salads/Salad Dressings Casseroles Meats/Beef/Pork/Lamb
Poultry/Chicken/Duck/Game/Turkey Fish/Seafood Pasta
Rice/Beans/Potatoes Vegetables Sandwiches
Snacks Desserts (Cakes/Pies/Cookies)
Jams/Jellies/Preserves Breads/Muffins/Biscuits/Cornbread
If we missed your category, please write it in:

INGREDIENTS: List all ingredients in order of use. If your recipe has more than one part, please separate parts. Do not use any abbreviations. Do not use terms such as ?can,? list number of ounces, etc.

DIRECTIONS: List preparation steps in order. And please list all steps required, while keeping it short and simple.

COOKING TIME: TEMPERATURE: NUMBER OF SERVINGS:
Can recipe be prepared ahead? Yes No
Does it freeze well? Yes No
Must it be served immediately? Yes No

TYPE/SIZE COOKING PAN: Covered/Uncovered

SUBSTITUTE INGREDIENTS:

SUGGESTIONS FOR RECIPE?S USE:

Table Talk: What activities or conversation topics do your family and friends use to ?Discover Dinnertime??

Food Memories: What recollections do you have that center around food and that helped make your life more memorable, humorous, or worthwhile?

NAME:
ADDRESS:
CITY: STATE: ZIP:
TELEPHONE (H): (W):

PLEASE READ AND SIGN THE FOLLOWING:
I hereby donate this recipe to XXXXX as obtained from my private files. I understand that it may or may not be included in the proposed cookbook. I also understand that the Cookbook Committee may edit or rename this recipe for reasons of editorial preference or conformity to the overall cookbook concept.
In addition, I understand that for each recipe submitted, I will be responsible for making that recipe and at least one other submitted recipe for the Cookbook Testing Committee.
SIGNATURE:
DATE:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
Wow, BR! You are prepared!!! Let me mull this over for an hour. I think it might be best just to trust the person submitting the recipe (with a disclaimer). Otherwise, you and I would gain back any weight we've lost and then some!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
great idea DD. I was hoping to find a way to compile them all online, on the forum or something. but maybe a published version would work as well, or better if people can just order it right on line, etc. I suggest we all think of titles, submit possible ones to you, you narrow them down and we can vote on it at a later date.

we need an artist to come up with the cover art.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
great idea DD. I was hoping to find a way to compile them all online, on the forum or something. but maybe a published version would work as well, or better if people can just order it right on line, etc. I suggest we all think of titles, submit possible ones to you, you narrow them down and we can vote on it at a later date.

we need an artist to come up with the cover art.

I've thought a lot about this. I thought at first online too, but I find that I always pull out my old faithful cookbooks and use the same tried and true recipes from those cookbooks over and over again. I like the idea of voting on a title. :D
I think we have a few artists on here that could contribute to the cause. ;-)

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
What's Cookin' on* SoWal ? :wave:

*..or in

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I've thought a lot about this. I thought at first online too, but I find that I always pull out my old faithful cookbooks and use the same tried and true recipes from those cookbooks over and over again. I like the idea of voting on a title. :D
I think we have a few artists on here that could contribute to the cause. ;-)

yes we do!

we also have an incredible inventory of incredible recipes submitted over the last several years in the food/dining forum (or whatever forum it is these days). remember all the recipes submitted during holidays? wow.

Last edited:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
yes we do!

we also have an incredible inventory of incredible recipes submitted over the last several years in the food/dining forum (or whatever forum it is these days). remember all the recipes submitted during holidays? wow.

Absolutely, I remember! I plan on printing them all out.

I'm thinking we also know a pretty decent photographer that could maybe photograph some of the dishes.:D