SoWal Fly Fishing

Discussion in 'Sports and Recreation' started by Jay McM, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Jay McM

Jay McM Beach Comber

How many backwater/skinny water fly fisherman do we have here in SoWal? Anyone interested in discussing patterns, gear or active species?

2. Jim Tucker

Jim Tucker Beach Fanatic

Always wanted to test the water.

3. Low Brow

Low Brow Beach Lover

I cannot wait for September/October. I haven't had much chance to get out this year due to work but I am anxious for the best time of the year is on the horizon. I love some tailing action on fly.

4. Jay McM

Jay McM Beach Comber

Outfitting the kayak to reach a few of the river and creek openings on the intercostal and tying more shrimp patterns.

5. SlowMovin

SlowMovin Beach Fanatic

A daark green and white/silver streamer pattern titched slowly on (or just under) the surface after sunset or before sunup works well on specks....even in relatively deep water (i.e. 5 - 10 feet)..

6. Jay McM

Jay McM Beach Comber

Been having moderate luck with a tan sand flee pattern retrieved slow, slow, slow for Redfish in the grasses.

7. Jay McM

Jay McM Beach Comber

Blue and white clouser minnow worked awesome at Grayton Beach this morning! If you can cast past the breaking waves there where schools of ladyfish that where hitting as soon as you hit the water.

8. Jay McM

Jay McM Beach Comber

Blue and white clouser minnow worked awesome at Grayton Beach this morning! If you can cast past the breaking waves there where schools of ladyfish that where hitting as soon as you hit the water.

9. Jay McM

Jay McM Beach Comber

image.jpeg A baitfish pattern using misty blue kinky hair, gold ice wing fiber and wild olive kinky hair finished off with 5/16 super pearl holo eye on a crimped mustad size 2 hook.

10. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

I think I saw you out there fishing when I was walking my Boston Terrier that morning! Looked like fun. I haven't done any fly fishing here. I don't have a saltwater setup. Lots of other fishing, though.

Today at the Western Lake outfall out past the breakers, there was a nice school of bluefish. I caught a bunch of them on a jig with a 4" grub, but they probably would have taken almost anything and would have been a total blast with a fly rod.

11. Jay McM

Jay McM Beach Comber

Used the above fly Saturday 10 September at Grayton Beach with great success. Twice the fly no sooner hit the water when we had fish on. Heading over to St. Augustine next week for new materials and some flats fishing.

12. Jay McM

Jay McM Beach Comber

IMG_0852.JPG IMG_0851.JPG

Had a great foggy morning fishing near the 395 ramp. Yellow clouser minnow was working great for young trout!