• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jay McM

Beach Comber
Aug 20, 2016
Point Washington
Used the above fly Saturday 10 September at Grayton Beach with great success. Twice the fly no sooner hit the water when we had fish on. Heading over to St. Augustine next week for new materials and some flats fishing.

The Fly Menace

Beach Crab
Jan 21, 2021
Massachusetts
Hi everyone

I found this site. I just wanted to ask about fly fishing on the ocean side. Should I cast from the beach to the sand bar? Or walk out to the sand bar and cast into deeper water? What line is best to use? A full sink, or a sink tip, or a floating line?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Fly fishing doesn't work well in the surf.

As far as landing it depends on what you're surfing for. Most fisherman seem to have luck in between the sandbars. Plenty of people go out chest deep to cast and find it's not as beneficial since you have a difficult time getting any weight behind it if you're treading water.

AndrewJ

Beach Comber
Nov 30, 2020
Grayton Beach
Looking for some advice for an upcoming trip to Grayton Beach in early March. I'm new to the fly fishing world and would love some advice on best setup, and good locations. Not wanting anyone to reveal their private "honeyspots" but just a general location would be great.

Thanks. AJ.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Looking for some advice for an upcoming trip to Grayton Beach in early March. I'm new to the fly fishing world and would love some advice on best setup, and good locations. Not wanting anyone to reveal their private "honeyspots" but just a general location would be great.

Thanks. AJ.
Good advice for fly fishing can be found at Old Florida Outfitters in Watercolor or the big Orvis store in Grand Blvd.