1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

SoWal Forum Upgrade 8-16-15

Discussion in 'SoWal Site Help & Announcements' started by kurt, Aug 16, 2015.

1. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Hello everyone - change is good but can be hard! Let us know of any problems or suggestions for the new SoWal Forum. It's a work in progress so we'll be making tweaks and additions in coming days.

Some notables:
    1. you can login with email or username. Some accounts with same email address were merged. So if you have any login issues, send us a message with your username and email address and we'll sort it out.

2. you can "watch" content and be notified in your feed or by email of changes.

3. Media uploads and galleries (photo albums) are integrated into your profile page.

4. hover over your name on top right and you'll get link to your profile page, settings, etc. - click around and check it out.

5. The Forum App is no longer needed and has been disabled. The site is now mobile-friendly. Just browse to http://SoWal.com/forum"> on your phone's browser and tap "add to home screen". You'll then have a SoWal icon on your phone just like an app that opens to whatever page you were on when you added it to your home screen.

TIP: I've got mine set to "new posts" so when it opens I see the latest posts -
    http://www.sowal.com/forum/find-new/posts

Another good start page is -
    http://www.sowal.com/forum/recent-activity

Add SoWal Forum to Iphone / Ipad

sowal-iphone3.png

Add to Chrome / Android

sowal-chrome.png

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  2. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Here's a good link for instructions on how to add an icon to any device :cool:

http://www.howtogeek.com/196087/how-to-add-websites-to-the-home-screen-on-any-smartphone-or-tablet/

How to Add Websites to the Home Screen on Any Smartphone or Tablet
    [​IMG]

Your smartphone or tablet’s home screen isn’t just for apps. Whatever platfgorm you’re using, you can pin your favorite websites to your home screen so you can quickly access them.

Some platforms offer bonus features. For example, Chrome for Android opens these websites in their own windows with no browser interface, while Windows 8 and Windows Phone offer live tile updates on some websites.

Android
    Launch Chrome for Android and open the website or web page you want to pin to your home screen. Tap the menu button and tap Add to homescreen. You’ll be able to enter a name for the shortcut and then Chrome will add it to your home screen.

[​IMG]

The icon will appear on your home screen like any other app shortcut or widget, so you can drag it around and put it wherever you like. Chrome for Android loads the website as a “web app” when you tap the icon, so it will get its own entry in the app switcher and won’t have any browser interface getting in the way.

[​IMG]
    Other popular Android browsers also offer this feature. For example, Firefox for Android can do this if you tap the menu button, tap the Page option, and tap Add to Home Screen.

[​IMG]

iPhone, iPad, & iPod Touch
    Launch the Safari browser on Apple’s iOS and navigate to the website or web page you want to add to your home screen. Tap the Share button on the browser’s toolbar — that’s the rectangle with an arrow pointing upward. It’s on the bar at the top of the screen on an iPad, and on the bar at the bottom of the screen on an iPhone or iPod Touch. Tap the Add to Home Screen icon in the Share menu.

[​IMG]

You’ll be prompted to name the shortcut before tapping the Add button. The shortcut can be dragged around and placed anywhere, including in app folders — just like a normal app icon. (To create app folders on iOS, touch-and-drag an app’s icon onto another app’s icon and hold it there for a moment.) When you tap the icon, it will load the website in a normal tab inside the Safari browser app.

[​IMG]

Other browsers, like Chrome for iOS, don’t offer this feature. Due the limitations in Apple’s iOS, only Apple’s own Safari browser is allowed to do this.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  3. Misty

Misty Banned

Just curious...I'm notorious for my "edits" but I don't see an edit option. I posted a link on the Confederate flag debate but the link isn't correct and I can't edit. Can we get an edit option?

4. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

I like it!

5. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

I see an edit button at the bottom of my post. There's always been a time linit on editing posts of about 2 hours I think.

6. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

Let's try a photo

[​IMG]

7. Misty

Misty Banned

Yes I see that also. I don't think the other was timed though.

8. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

9. seabythegrove

seabythegrove Beach Fanatic

Hacked by Stanley Dupes? Send me an email when it's safe to return...

10. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

I cannot load the SoWal app on my iPhone any more. this started about the same time you upgraded. Is it related, and can you recommend any remedy?

11. bentley williams

bentley williams Beach Fanatic

Item 5. in post #1

12. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

I took your advice and have the shortcut, but the SoWal app was quite a bit more handy to use. Is there going to be a new and improved app coming out soon?

13. bentley williams

bentley williams Beach Fanatic

It took me a day to get used to without the app but I like it better now. More features and quicker. Kurt said in a message that the apps available are too buggy.

14. sunspotbaby

sunspotbaby SoWal Insider

Not liking it at all. I need to put my glasses on just to read the tiny font. How do you go to the last post without having to go through the entire thread? And what are all those trophies about? weird.

15. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

1. Please let me know where fonts are located that are too small.
    2. There's a small round blue icon to the left of thread title with new posts. I plan on making it bigger. It's in the same place it always has been.
    3. I don't like the trophy idea and working on deleting. Where are you seeing reference to them?

Thanks for the feedback.

16. sunspotbaby

17. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

So fonts are too small in the alert panel? Anywhere else?
    The trophies in the alert may have been when "post thanks" from the old software was upgraded to the new format. Now you can "like" a post, instead of the old "thanks" a post.

18. sunspotbaby

The fonts on the right side where 'latest posts' are. On the left the forum categories are good size, but on the right is where i'm talking about. Not concerned with the alerts.

19. Misty

Misty Banned

Kurt, when you click on "Alerts" then "Show All" it expands to show you who quoted, who liked a post in a thread and trophies appear after you have gotten a certain number of likes on a post or thread and looks like....

20. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

As I have said on many occasions, I am relatively computer illiterate. I do not like the new format as compared to the old one. When typing there is some lag in the letters. I miss the "thanks" feature My avatar is now missing. IMO, it is not as good or easy to use as the old format.