SoWal in winter

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by peapod1980, Oct 3, 2005.

1. peapod1980

peapod1980 percy

I've been visiting SoWal most of my life and have been there in every season except for Winter, but this year is the year! Will I find many restaurants and businesses closed? October is my favorite time of year down there--please reassure me that I'll love it in December, too! :D

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

The really cold weather usually doesn't hit until Jan and Feb. Some places will be closed like Shrimpers, and some places will close for a couple of days a week, but most places will still be open as usual.

3. jessifunn

jessifunn superJfunn

you'll like it. the resturants are still open and even the bars just not as late and less crowded. oh yeah and my personal favorite you can drive the speed limit down 30-A!

4. peapod1980

peapod1980 percy

oh, good! those same things are what started us going down there in the fall, which totally spoiled me for any other time of the year. thanks!

5. Kimmifunn

Kimmifunn Funnkalicious

Just be forewarned that Bud's closes down for January. Moe and Kim have to go on vaca sometime!

6. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    We love Dawson's fat-free/sugar-free yogurt, but their hours in the winter seem totally random. Shades is pretty much always open. We hang out at their bar a lot and watch sports (just look for a non-monogrammed Louis Vuitton). C'est moi! LOL. Cafe 30-A seems to do a good business year-round. And One Seagrove Place always seems to be hoppin'.

We use our outdoor spa year-round. Crank it up to 100 degrees, and it heats up quickly. The pool takes too long to heat in the winter. Actually I'm surprised we don't get more rentals in the winter because you can get in the water at our house year-round. We love to drink champagne at midnight on New Year's Eve in the spa.

Basically if you have a place with a view of the Gulf, it's nice to just sit inside, watch TV or a DVD or do paperwork, and enjoy the view, no matter what the weather is like.

7. jessifunn

jessifunn superJfunn

they do need breaks. they work their little fingers to the bone making drinks for everyone in sowal . god bless them! without them where would we be?

8. beachma

beachma Beach Lover

We've been down several times for the week between Christmas & New Years. It's usually a little too chilly to sit on the beach for hours upon hours like we do in the Summer/Fall....but it's gorgeous. It's different for the sand to feel cold on your bare feet! We usually get by wearing shorts & sweatshirts...although, if the sun's not out sweats/jeans are needed. There are incredible sunsets in the winter...try to stay as close to the beach as possible. I have a picture of my grandson on the beach last December...but I'm not sure how to post it...he's all bundled up because it was late afternoon it's an adorable picture! December is great...you'll love it! :wub:

9. beachma

beachma Beach Lover

Okay...I'm not sure this worked it's my first try at posting a picture, but my son showed me how to decrease the size...the picture is one of my favorites and was taken last December! :wub:

10. STL Don

STL Don Beach Fanatic

If you didn't look in the background (to notice the water), it looks like he is playing in the snow.

11. ktschris

ktschris Beach Fanatic

:clap_1: That is very cute! :wub:

12. beachma

beachma Beach Lover

Thanks! He's a cutie...here's one more from this past August...he's 18 mos. in this one. I think this last trip in August was his 4th trip to the beach...and we live 12 hours away! I should also give credit where credit is due...my son/daughter-in-law are the photographers...they do an awesome job in capturing him! :clap_1:

13. peapod1980

peapod1980 percy

We'll be going the week before Christmas, which I'm beginning to think is either sheer genius or madness, not sure which!

14. peapod1980

peapod1980 percy

Oh, what an amazing shot! I need some picture editing help myself; I can't for the life of me get a custom avatar made, no matter how I try! Grrrr...

15. peapod1980

peapod1980 percy

It's true! I thought the same thing!

16. iwishiwasthere

iwishiwasthere Beach Fanatic

Precious photo..a treasure

17. ktschris

ktschris Beach Fanatic

:clap_1: And look! He's only 18 mos. and was smart enough to stay out of the dunes!!!! :clap_1:

He is adorable!!

18. seagrovelover

seagrovelover little sugar

too cute!!!!!! :wub:

19. beachma

beachma Beach Lover

:wub: Thanks! We were there a few weeks after Dennis...stayed down in the area of One Seagrove Place...it was really sad to see the dune destruction. The beach had been cleaned up and we did have a beach walk right at the house we were staying in which was a REAL blessing! The sand piles at the dune line had just been scraped up during the week we were there. One Seagrove Place must have had some sand brought in because they had a huge pile that people used to walk up to the building. I'm not sure if it was considered dunes...but there were some well worn paths through it. The water was absolutely gorgeous...calm as a lake and totally clear and free of seaweed, jellies all week....nothing but the little silver fish that love to nibble at your toes! Our grandson loved the sand...even took a few bites of it and didn't seem to mind! Fun time...wonderful memories!

20. ktmeadows

ktmeadows Beach Fanatic

What a little cutie!!