SoWal Site Redesign

Discussion in 'SoWal Site Help & Announcements' started by Kurt Lischka, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    I do because that is the browser mandated by I.T. for institution-owned computers which includes my new Dell E5520 laptop (also mandated by I.T. -- I had no choice). I think I'm the only faculty member with administrative privileges to install other software on their machine. So I also have Chrome and Firefox.

Really ridiculous mandate, I know.

That and the fact that I.T. specked 32-bit Windows 7 on a 64-bit machine. :bang:

2. MrMentalFitness

MrMentalFitness Beach Fanatic

SWEET! Now if I can just figger out the SoWal App.

3. KISH7374

KISH7374 Beach Fanatic

This will take a little getting used to but looks great!!

4. Topsail Transplant

Topsail Transplant Beach Lover

Carriere MS (50 mi northeast of New orleans) Sowal
    I REALLY like the new "feel" of the site. I do think I will need to play for a bit to get used to it but keep up the great work!!

5. sisters4

sisters4 Beach Lover

Am I losing my mind?

I have not been on here for awhile but was just there end of September to early October. Is the site totally revamped???

6. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

7. sisters4

sisters4 Beach Lover

Thanks so much. You do a great job. This is my way of staying connected to the area when I can't be there (which isn't enough!).

8. sisters4

sisters4 Beach Lover

Quick question. Wouldn't it be more user friendly to show the most recent posts first and then go down to the older ones. i.e. I just checked "what are you listening to" and thought it was new but July 2009 came up first??? You have probably thought of this but maybe there is a way I can rearrange the order??? Again, thanks for all your great info. How is the weather there? We have had a gorgeous fall so far here in central Virginia.

9. Kurt Lischka

Thanks - very cool options under settings - http://www.sowal.com/bb/usercp.php

For thread display options look on the left and click "general settings". You can choose to display posts as newest first.

Default is oldest first because in a discussion thread the idea is to follow the discussion down the page in "normal" fasihion like reading a letter, article, or book. In a thread like the one you mention it might make more sense to have newest first.

The weather has been awesome. Tonight may be our coolest night yet might drop below 40.

10. Topsail Transplant

Topsail Transplant Beach Lover

Carriere MS (50 mi northeast of New orleans) Sowal
    Whats Your Opinion ?

I would like to say I really like the feel and color scheme of the new site. I also like the new SoWal sticker color scheme better because it reminds me of the color of the water. I prefer the square logo with beach like a local on the bottom. With all that said, I would like to see the SoWal stickers square with beach like a local on the bottom in the aquamarine color. So it would look just like the one on the top of the forum tab home page except in the lighter color. Whats Your opinion ? :thanks:

11. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I like the square one by the "live beach cam" better than the oval ones. It's a striking graphic that is easy to see and read, while the other one is pretty blah and hard to read from a distance.

12. DD

DD SoWal Expert

I love the oval shaped ones.

13. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    The updated website has a look and feel that is very easy on the eyes. I really like it.

As far as the stickers go, I will always love the old one. But I really like the new one too. Picked up a few of the new ones at Shoo Mama's on Saturday.

14. Kurt Lischka

It's called "CLASSIC". :sowal: :wave:

Glad y'all like!

15. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

I'm afraid I am a desentor. For some of us with vision problems, the lack of contrast on the new format is a problem. Not a killer but a problem, nevertheless.