• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

cabythesea

Beach Lover
Jan 16, 2009
On line shopping is great if you have a computer, access to the internet and good credit. I hope all of you Walmart haters, after spending significant time bashing those who may have no choice but to shop at a Walmart, thank your lucky stars for being as fortunate as you are. Obviously, no trees were cut down to build the house you live in...

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
For me, ink cartridges are not a good choice for online purchase. I almost never use my printer, but sometimes in an emergency, i need it immediately. I don't even know if my printer works right now or if it even has fresh cartridges. I save money by almost never using my printer and never buying cartridges, but when I need it, I need it now. It's also nice to know that if I need a new printer at moments notice I can have one back home in minutes even a midnight. It's like that way with a lot of odds and ends. I like to buy them when I need them and at moments notice. That's my approach and I'm staying with it. Big ticket items like computers, audio equipment, cameras, ceiling fans, I buy online. There is no way I'm going to spend time ordering hundreds of small items online and tracking them. This walmart I am sure wil save me many hours a week and free up time for me to be more productive with various projects and such. A few trees is a small price to pay IMO. It will greatly reduce the stress level. Sorry do-gooders, that's just how it is.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
On a related note, we ended up in the new Destin Big Lots next to Best Buy today just to see if it was as utterly mediocre as the one in Ft. Walton was, and were actually pleasantly surprised. Yes, still a lot of no-name goods and utter junk in there, but a fair number of brand names products there, including a medium-sized shelf stable grocery section where the prices seemed pretty good. (Just check for package integrity and that the expiration date is far enough out s you'll use it before that passes.)

They also had a big display of Serta mattresses- not sure if their prices were the best you can do, but if you have to replace one in a vacation home/condo soon, it might be worth checking out.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
On line shopping is great if you have a computer, access to the internet and good credit. I hope all of you Walmart haters, after spending significant time bashing those who may have no choice but to shop at a Walmart, thank your lucky stars for being as fortunate as you are. Obviously, no trees were cut down to build the house you live in...

You have the option of stating your opinion on the subject without bashing others. This issue has been discussed openly on the board for quite some time and I respect all the opinions and understand them after reading all the well-stated, thoughtful posts of many. I think there are very valid points on all sides. There is no right or wrong opinion here. Your statements are unnecessary, imo, not to mention incorrect and unkind.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
My buying habits will not change- I will still "shop the aisles" at Publix (produce, meat, dairy) and the interior at Walmart (everything not refrigerated or fresh, because their prices on these products kill Publix). My beef remains the same- I still don't think we needed a Walmart here. I didn't think driving up to Destin occasionally was a big deal to stock up on dry goods.

But now it is here, so I will be buying cereal, toiletries, paper products, laundry products, etc. at Walmart, then hit the Publix on the way home for meat, fruit and veggies, and milk. I will leave Walmart with a sigh, but I can't ignore the savings on the products that my family eats and uses.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Me and Scooterbug like to shop local! Did the Wal-Mart location hold a forest within the near past? I thought it was simply stuff that grew after the real forest was mowed down years ago. I'm a fan of the cypress trees they planted there but lament more palms.

I'm with you on that. I do buy local products from TRUE local businesses as much as I can. Mostly gifts, music, clothing, books, etc. I especially love stuff MADE IN SOWAL. We plan to add a new feature soon about SoWal made stuff.

As far as the forest, there once was one there.

Lake Eastern

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
Walton County
Thanks for letting me know that Big Lots is in Destin now. Try to stop at the one on 15th and Lisenby in PC pretty often. I just neve seem to go up there unless I'm going to see Frankie at Pet
Smart.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
My money is it was Scooterbug with 4 pounds of C4 strapped to her body taking care of business! lol ;)

You lose! I won't go near that place.

I'll pay $20 to anyone who sees me inside Wal-mart willingly (the willingly is so SWGB doesn't start kidnapping me for profit whenever he's my DD).

If people want to shop there and destroy the local businesses that make this place great and send more jobs out of the area and overseas they can.

I'll happily continue to get much better quality food at the Farmer's Market, Cypress Cattle Co, For the Health of It, and Publix and any locally unavailable items from Target and Amazon.com.

Most of the supposed "savings" are on crap food that I don't eat, lower quality and/or imported products, plastic, and unnecessary items.

You're loco if you don't buy local.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I've been in the new WalMart twice, now and found the employees especially pleasant and helpful. The last I read, 200 employees were added to our present economy. I don't call that shipping local jobs overseas but then I am one of those old geezers who liked the country successful, not like it appears to be now.