Speed trap on 30A, if you can believe that

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by TreeFrog, Oct 20, 2005.

1. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

Maybe our property taxes aren't sufficient to pay for the Sheriff's Dept?

Coupla weeks ago, my Sig. Oth. got caught on radar at the Watersound entrance just east of Camp Creek. If you're approaching there eastbound, you're probably doing about 50 after the run through the woods by Deer Lake. The speed limit is 45 through the woods, but drops to 35 near Watersound. I've seen the sheriff there with other folks pulled over since then.

Watch out.

For what it's worth, 50 in a 35 is approximately $100 and a run through the online driver ed system.

2. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

Just got to watch the signs, that's all...although I'm guilty of that as well.

FWIW, I am not a fan of our current sheriff (personal reasons) but one of the most frequent requests the SO's administration gets is to crack down on speeding on 30-A.

3. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Although I am occasionally guilty of speeding, speeding around here is on my top 5 list of rants. Speeding in SoWal does lead to many traffic accidents and, on occaision, death. "Relax! You're at the Beach." is my motto.

FYI - SoWal now has 6 Deputies assigned to traffic patrol, ie- writing tickets to slow our butts down.

4. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

I have only NOT seen SoWal's finest on 30A a few time. Sometimes I see 3 between Grayton and Seacrest, all with radar guns ablazin :idontno:

5. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

Confession follows - Sammy Hagar wrote "I can't drive 55" about me and my Sig. Oth.

Having said that, we're comfortable going the limit (or slower, conditions warranting) in congested zones like Seaside, Rosemary, near the Wheel House, Seacrest, downtown Grayton, Alyce Beach... Oops, that's about all of this end of 30A except for the Deer Lake area, isn't it? Like SJ says, relax, you're at the beach.

I wonder if the 6 deputies includes the 4 working 283 and 395 at 98? Maybe it's the time of day we're out, but we rarely see a deputy on our daily runs in the Grayton to Rosemary end of 30A. That's what made the ticket a surprise.

I'd actually prefer to see more enforcement, to reduce the dirty looks you get while going the limit.

6. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

I will name no names, but I know a SoWaller who was stopped for exceeding the speed limit near Seacrest Beach. :eek:

7. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

Snellville, GA., Seacrest/Seagrove as often as we
    Really? Anyone we know?

8. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

I was wondering when you'd notice this post, missy! ;-)

9. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

And if you need to get somewhere to the east or west, all you've got to do is cut north to 98, where there's a perfectly nice four lane road for you to go 55-60 mph on without having to stop for anything much.

If we're on 30-A, or Sceinc 98, we're driving on the assumption that we're going to be going slow in order to yield to pedestrians and such, and that the slower speed just gives us more time to enjoy the view.

10. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Hmmmmm...heard this person walked away with a friendly warning!

11. Landlocked

Landlocked Beach Fanatic

I know that high speed causes most of the crashes on 30A but I know that I am guilty of that "head turning" you locals see us visitors doing. While driving along 30A, I'm always trying to look for new things and trying to see the beach, ladies walking down the street, etc. It is just difficult to drive in a straight line when you're trying to take it all in. It will also cause those stop signs to pop up out of nowhere.

That may sound stupid, but I caught myself doing it all the time during our last stay.

12. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

The six Deputies do not include the off-duty guys at 283 and 395, who sit in the car and read the paper, while "monitoring traffic."