• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I just found out from my neighbor that a female dwarf sperm whale out 10 ft, who had just given birth came close to shore last night, at the Gulfview heights beach access. The sharks attacked the baby and her. She was vomiting I believe what is called ambergris, which is a dark waxy substance produce by the whale. It looks a little like blood. He said that she had some injuries too.
Officials were called and apparently the police shot her thinking she was bleeding and suffering.
My neighbor was on the beach for 3 hrs. and the TDC came in he said. (he volunteers for a group in Destin that protects the marine and wildlife) I was on the beach last night at sunset, and I am glad I missed it. Apparently there is going to be an investigation and it has become a national incident due to whether the whale should have been shot. The carcass was removed and brought to PCB Sanctuary for forensics.

Last edited:

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
:shock: that is unbelieveable :shock:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
What?????:dunno:

shoot first and ask questions later? was there a marine veterinarian on site?

This sounds too incredible to have really happened:shock:

I was tired when I posted, so when I meant last night, I meant Wednesday evening, but from what my neighbor told me, he had made some calls to get someone knowledgeable out there, but by the time they came, the animal had been shot already. I did do some research on sperm whales because I thought they were huge, but there is a dwarf species that inhabits warm waters. The article is in the Walton Sun
http://www.waltonsun.com/

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I was tired when I posted, so when I meant last night, I meant Wednesday evening, but from what my neighbor told me, he had made some calls to get someone knowledgeable out there, but by the time they came, the animal had been shot already. I did do some research on sperm whales because I thought they were huge, but there is a dwarf species that inhabits warm waters. The article is in the Walton Sun
http://www.waltonsun.com/

Holy cow:bang:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
Local News Article

Breaking News

UPDATE: Deputy shoots protected whale on Santa Rosa Beach
October 12, 2006
Gabriel Tynes
gtynes@link.freedom.com

Various reports are indicating that a Walton County Sheriff?s Office deputy shot an ailing, protected whale species on Santa Rosa Beach Wednesday evening without the approval of state or federal wildlife officials. Lt. Bryan Maule, public information officer for the WCSO, said the deputy shot the eight-foot pygmy sperm whale after observing it ?suffering from great pain.?
Deputies and workers from the Tourist Development Council responded to the call around 6:15 p.m., and found beachgoers attempting to resuscitate the whale in red-flag surf. According to witnesses, more than 30 people were at the scene.
Internal fluids were spilling from the whale and deputies asked people to leave the area to eliminate the risks of shark attacks. One source reported that while the whale was in distress, it still appeared strong - swimming as far as 100 feet offshore four times before turning back toward the beach.
Lt. Maule said the deputies assisted in trying to get the whale swimming once more before pulling it onshore and waiting for wildlife officials to respond.
?I was told that the deputies involved were expecting a 60-90 minute response time from wildlife agencies,? Maule said. ?This entire time, the whale was flailing around and appeared to be in pain.?
Maule said the deputies made an on-scene decision to euthanize the whale after being advised by a veterinarian over the phone that it was going euthanized anyway. Once the deputies cleared the water and the beach, one or more gunshots were heard.
The whale was transported to the TDC equipment yard on Satinwood Lane where it was rinsed before officials from the National Marine Fisheries Service and Gulf World Marine Park picked it up at 8:15 p.m. Sheriff?s deputies present when wildlife officials finally arrived made no mention of having euthanized the animal themselves.
Instead, the wildlife team speculated that the wounds could have been caused by cookie cutter sharks. The team was able to positively identify the whale as an adult, female, pygmy sperm whale and said it appeared as if it had recently given birth.
When she arrived on the scene, the NMFS Marine Mammal Stranding Area Representative Sebrina Brown said, ?cookie cutter shark bites can look like gunshot wounds, but we can?t rule out human involvement.?
Brown said a necropsy on Thursday would determine the cause of death and whether the
whale had any diseases.
Keen Polakoff, a Santa Rosa Beach resident who witnessed the incident with his wife Kimberly, said that although the whale was acting unusual, he believed it was in no immediate danger of dying. Other residents who attempted to save the whale are waiting results of the necropsy to determine whether to file official complaints against the Sheriff?s Office.
?Whether or not that whale would have been able to sustain itself in the water is unclear,? Lt. Maule said. He also indicated that he had not seen the official report on the incident.
?But as far as I?m concerned we followed procedure.?
According to the Encyclopedia of Marine Mammals, the pygmy sperm is among the smallest of all whales and is not much larger than most dolphins. Although they have world-wide distribution, they are rarely sighted at sea and most scientific information about the species is that gathered from stranded specimens.

See more information in Saturday's Walton Sun

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Well, I hope that if that officer is on the scene if I am ever in a car wreck with a broken leg, obviously suffering from pain, and the ambulance is expected to take an hour and a half to get to me, that he doesn't shoot me.

Was any SoWaller present on the beach that evening who can report more info?