• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
This was posted in the thread about red tide. Has anyone tried spraying windex on jelly fish stings? Does it work and is it safe? Hmmm, if it might work to bring those windex wipes or put windex in one of those small spray bottles you can get at the drug store. If we use vinegar to keep the small biting flies away and windex after jelly fish stings, it will be very easy to spot (smell) someone who visits this message board on graytonbeach.com...

"For the JELLIES: 1. Put WINDEX on ice & take it to the beach (does not help if you leave it at home or back in the car) Spray down affected area -it"ll take the sting right out!"

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
Windex has ammonia among other strong irritants - hmmm. Jelly stings are almost electrical in nature (chemically induced and injected via dart and pipe) so maybe the ammonia is blocking the chemical stimuli - wouldn't do much for the irritation though, still have lots of darts and pipes in there. Tomato juice, paste or salsa contains acidic enzymes that dissolve the darts and pipes. I suppose it is theoretically possible that the solvents in Windex would cause them to dissolve. Check the label for broken skin warnings.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
aquaticbiology said:
Windex has ammonia among other strong irritants - hmmm. Jelly stings are almost electrical in nature (chemically induced and injected via dart and pipe) so maybe the ammonia is blocking the chemical stimuli - wouldn't do much for the irritation though, still have lots of darts and pipes in there. Tomato juice, paste or salsa contains acidic enzymes that dissolve the darts and pipes. I suppose it is theoretically possible that the solvents in Windex would cause them to dissolve. Check the label for broken skin warnings.

Momma Mia....sounds like a real Ital-Tex-Greek feast there! Do you remember the movie..."My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? The dad put Windex on everything!!!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
aquaticbiology said:

Interesting. I thought at one time, Windex had two products, one featuring Ammonia, and one without. I have pulled my bottle of Windex "Origianal" and it has Ammonia - D. The warning label is hidden on the back of the front label so I have to remove the sticker off of the back of the bottle and read through the blue and weed out the front label peaking through in order to read it. :bang: No warning about keeping it off your body, but they do give a question, comments number 1800-558-5252.
From the Dept of Natural Resources website regarding jellyfish stings:

Treatment of Sting

"Primary first aid for any jellyfish sting should be to minimize the number of nematocysts discharging into the skin and to reduce the harmful effects of the venom. If stung by a jellyfish, the victim should carefully remove the tentacles that adhere to the skin by using sand, clothing, towels, seaweed or other available materials. As long as tentacles remain on the skin, they will continue to discharge venom.

A variety of substances have been used to reduce the effects of jellyfish stings. Meat tenderizer, sugar, vinegar, plant juices and sodium bicarbonate have all been used with varying degrees of success. Methylated spirits and other forms of alcohol formerly recommended for inhibiting stinging cells actually stimulate them and may increase pain and cause severe skin reactions. Picric acid and human urine also cause a discharge of nematocysts and should not be used. Victims of serious stings should make every effort to get out of the water as soon as possible to avoid drowning. If swelling and pain from more serious stings persists, prompt medical attention should be sought. Recovery periods can vary from several minutes to several weeks."

When I read about the Windex, all I could think about was the father in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." If you saw the movie, you know what I am talking about. If you didn't see that movie, you missed one of the funniest movies ever made.

Last edited:

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
WIndex used to be my "po-man's" cure for poison ivy too, back in college...(back before Zanfel was created.) Ew, right? But it used to work pretty well. I think it was the bleach... :blink:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
katie blue said:
WIndex used to be my "po-man's" cure for poison ivy too, back in college...(back before Zanfel was created.) Ew, right? But it used to work pretty well. I think it was the bleach... :blink:

Straight bleach works well for Poison Ivy if you can wash the affected area immediately. Bleach, as you know, will eat your skin, too, so you have to wash off the bleach fairly quickly too. Do not mix the Windex and Bleach, or you will have a toxic nightmare.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
jdarg said:
What is the remedy for chiggers????? :dunno:
I wish I had one. I worked on a National Wildlife Reserve growning up, and we focussed on preventative measures rather than on remedies. Every morning before going out, we used duct tape to tape our pants at the bottom so they would not be loose. Then, we took a rag dipped in kerosene and dabbed it around the tops of our boots. That worked well. Of course it helps to tuck in your shirt too.

I have used nail polish to "suffocate" the little critters, but that never seems to work. If I get them again, I may try the Windex. :dunno: Who knows?

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Sueshore said:
Momma Mia....sounds like a real Ital-Tex-Greek feast there! Do you remember the movie..."My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? The dad put Windex on everything!!!

:lolabove: I had almost forgotten about that movie..wasn't it hilarious?! Funny how I could relate to so much of it....my own parents immigrated from Austria back in the 50's, and so much in that movie hit home with me!
Thankfully my dad didn't walk around with a Windex bottle though :rotfl:
Bless his heart....he passed away a few years ago, but I still chuckle when I think of some of his expressions and words of wisdom, all narrated in very broken English :love: