• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
WOuld you be in favor or opposed to this in Walton County or where you live? DO they do it where you live? I heard a report on PC radio that Panama City was spraying their beaches tomorrow all day.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
There are many old SoWal discussions on this topic that will let you know how many feel about the aerial spraying here. Do a search on "mosquito planes" or similar.

We had the unfortunate experience of being at a concert at Pier Park and they aerial sprayed right over the crowd! The droplets were in our mouths, eyes, hair...it was awful, and we had to leave.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I think my answer speaks loud and clear concerning aerial spraying in The South Walton Mosquito Control District.

The district had plans to purchase a helicopter in the past years( I was not on the Board at that time) but after several commissioners that supported aerial spraying were replaced the plan was dropped. The district had gone so far as to secure a permit to build a helicopter pad. I voted to let the permit expire. The district had accumulated almost $ 500,000 in reserve funds for use in the purchase of a helicopter. Those funds have been used for the past 4 years to fund the operations without raising the millage rate during the housing bust.

Many think that the only method used is ULV spraying, but its actually the last line of control utilized when trap counts rise above a defined level. The district only sprayed 40 times during 2012 in a year the West Nile virus was rampant in our area.

South Walton is a very unique ecosystem and in my opinion aerial spraying would had a greater impact on our environment than ULV spraying.

There are areas in Florida where aerial spraying is the method of choice, but that model does not fit our area.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
My understanding spraying for mosquitoes is a necessary evil. That being said, I think that we should be given advance notice regarding the days/times when spraying is planned so we can have the choice to or not to stay inside during and soon after the spraying.

Jdarg

The district is trying to implement a call system much like Regional utilities does during boil water notices.

We sprayed a zone on Tuesday night and all residents in that zone were called to notify them we would be spraying that night between 6 and 10pm.

Yesterday we made calls to random residents within the zone to determine the "customer" acceptance of the calls.

Hopefully this system will prove effective and not deemed a "nuisance" call and we can implement the system district wide. Some people "hate Robo calls".

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I seem to recall that some years ago an old DC-3/C-47 used to fly over the Seagrove area very low spraying something. Frankly, I'd welcome aerial spraying. But I'm not one of those 'save the planet wackos either'. I'd also like to have a 50# bag of Heptachlor to kill ants with.