• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Buckhead Rick

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
What is the time line on the completion of the 4 laneing of 331, will it connect with I-10 as a four lane, will it ever go all the way to SR 98, what will happen when it meets the two lane bridge? Will I ever be able to drive from I-10 to SR 98 with being stopped by traffic???

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Four laning the bridge is only going to happen when they get state approval to make it a toll bridge operation. Currently, it's something like priority #387 on the state road improvements lists, and there are no general state highway funds available for it.

And it's going to be an expensive project because they can't just add lanes. They pretty much have to rebuild everything because they have to raise most of the causeway 5-10 feet higher in order to improve hurricane evacuation access. Right now, they have to close the bridge in even pretty moderate winds because of concern about possible overwash.

Panhandler

Beach Lover
Jun 22, 2006
In the panhandle, man...
The section between Owl's Head and SR 20 is going to be four lanes right? If so, it should operative by this time next year, not that it will make much of a difference...
As far as I-10 to the bridge, I've heard sometime between 2012-2018, so don't lose sleep over it...

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
I believe that funding has only been approved for the portion now under construction, which ends just south of HWY 20. Its anyone's guess when additional funding will be secured.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
In addition to the above posts, here's the scoop. The short section of 331, from Hwy 20, south for maybe a half a mile, is the only section of Hwy 331 in the area which is under construction for four lanes at the moment. The section from Hwy 20, north to Owl's Head is currently under construction, but only for two lanes. They did purchase enought land to make it four lanes eventually.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
We just don't have a good enough Senator. Okaloosa County had Bob Sikes which brought in the military along with all the improvements over there. We're not high on the priority list because we don't have a good enough lobby.