• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Remind me again why parking goes in front of buildings please.

That's where the doors are usually located. :D

Seriously though I'm curious why they are adding Handicap spaces over and above the required amount. I can't remember the last time I saw all handicapped spaces in a parking lot utilized and even then there was always some jerk that didn't have the placard or plate to be there in the first place. :bang:

P.S. Kurt I'm all for putting the parking primarily below the structure. This is Florida seems like the smartest idea since it keeps your car cool while you are inside. It also keeps the light pollution at bay.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
maybe the additional handicapped spaces are to encourage the elderly to look at the apartments for elderly, or the assisted living places. It isn't like they can actually walk to the big box stores from their places if they are handicapped.

Parking is usually at front so that people driving past know that there is actually shopping to do. I think the biggest complaint I hear from people in places where the parking is in back, eg- Flip Flops, LaBotana, etc, is that people don't know that it is even commercial -- there is no feeling of an entrance to get to the commercial, then when they park, they approach the businesses from the back. It is a little weird, but that parking in the back is what keeps the scenic in "scenic hwy," or so I'm told.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Parking underneath sounds great for keeping the car cool, but i bet is much more expensive to build the stores higher above ground and it is better for business to be on ground level. Out of sight, out of mind.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I don't need to see cars to know where to shop. Nor do I want to shop at Sacred Heart Hospital when I see all the cars out front. Although I do see an advantage of having trucks and loading docks in the rear.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Parking underneath sounds great for keeping the car cool, but i bet is much more expensive to build the stores higher above ground and it is better for business to be on ground level. Out of sight, out of mind.

Yes elevating the store and it's 20 foot high letters would definitely lower the visibility. :roll:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SGWB, I understand what you are saying for the people driving past, but when people get out of their cars, and cannot see the stores, nor their signs, the stores are indeed out of sight. When they get out of their cars at Grand Blvd Publix, they can see most of the store signs from the parking lot. For big box stores, it wouldn't likely matter much regarding the visibility, because people go to those stores for specific needs. However, for a small store/business which hopes to feed off of walk-by foot traffic, second floor doesn't sell nearly as well as ground level.

That said, I do like the idea of less impact on the property by parking underneath, and I certainly would like the shade of parking on a hot summer day. Plenty of shopping malls make that work by providing parking decks, where real estate is at a premium.

With reference to Kurt's point about parking in front, I, too, like some of the shopping design of places like Destin Commons and Pier Park, where the store fronts are facing other stores and pedestrian foot traffic, with parking on the peripheral. I think Pier Park is laid out better because it doesn't have as much road frontage, compared to Destin Commons.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
I am not sure it is a good idea to put anything underground around here. Go out into your yard and see how far down you have to go before you hit water - and that's when it's not raining. If it's more than 2 feet, you must live on a ridge.

I wouldn't park my car underground here.