• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
St. Joe Company has allotted 4,000 acres of land for the construction of a replacement airport facility for Panama City-Bay County. The Federal Aviation Authority recently approved the site selection prepared by Betchel Corporation, a civil engineering group specializing in large construction projects worldwide. The new airport will accelerate economic growth and bring improved air service at competitive fares to the entire region.

It will be North of the Bay, to the East of Highway 79, and will be connected to Seagrove Beach/WaterSound by expressway over the intracoastal. The airport will likely bring cruise ships in to Panama City, and many more golf courses, resorts, conference centers, theme parks, etc.

As part of the entitlements process, the West Bay Sector Plan is a vision for future development and conservation of approximately 75,000 acres of JOE-owned land in Northwestern Bay County. The West Bay Sector includes the West Bay Detailed Specific Area Plan (West Bay DSAP), a 16,556-acre land-use planning area, and a 4,000-acre Airport DSAP for the proposed relocation of the Panama City - Bay County International Airport. These two land plans begin the implementation of the West Bay Sector.

The Federal Aviation Administration released a draft Environmental Impact Study (DEIS) in November 2004. The DEIS reviewed the alternatives to expand capacity at the airport in Panama City and analyzed safety, environmental, social and other impacts.

The DEIS analysis reduced the number of alternatives selected for further analysis to five: a No-Action Alternative, two alternatives to improve the existing airport and two alternatives that require relocation to a new site proposed by the airport authority in the West Bay Sector on land owned by JOE.

The FAA is required by law to carry forward the No-Action Alternative throughout the process for comparative purposes. However, according to the DEIS, "the No-Action Alternative fails to meet Level 1 screening criteria because it does not meet FAA safety and design criteria and fails to meet future aviation demand. Although the No-Action Alternative has been determined not to be reasonable, feasible, practicable, or a prudent alternative, it will be carried forward in the final Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for comparative purposes."

The FAA alternatives at the current site would extend the primary runway system, impacting a mixed-use neighborhood, to allow for either a 6,800-foot or an 8,400-foot primary runway and standard runway safety areas.

The FAA alternatives in the West Bay Sector would relocate the airport to the new site in West Bay with either a 6,800-foot or an 8,400-foot primary runway and standard runway safety areas.

On January 11, 2005, the FAA held a public hearing in Panama City seeking public comment on the DEIS. Written comments were accepted through January 28, 2005. This additional input, along with new information and analysis, may change materially the conclusions reached in the DEIS. The FAA has announced that it expects to release its final EIS later this year and to issue its Record of Decision in late 2005.

In addition to the EIS process, other regulatory steps remain before a final decision is reached on the relocation of the airport. The relocation is also dependent on adequate funding.

Phases two and three of the West Bay DSAP entitlements are conditioned on the relocation of the airport. At full build-out, the West Bay DSAP provides for approximately 4.4 million square feet of industrial, commercial and retail space, 5,842 residential units, 490 hotel rooms and two marinas. Predevelopment planning has started on phase one of the West Bay DSAP and local and state agencies, along with JOE, have started economic development activities for the West Bay Sector.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If you are interested in learning more about St Joe (JOE), perhaps you should read "Green Empire, The St. Joe Company and the Remaking of Florida's Panhandle," by Kathyrn Ziewitz and June Wiaz.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Smiling JOe said:
If you are interested in learning more about St Joe (JOE), perhaps you should read "Green Empire, The St. Joe Company and the Remaking of Florida's Panhandle," by Kathyrn Ziewitz and June Wiaz.

Interesting that someone was just telling me about the book tonight, and I asked him to lend it to me when he finishes the last half.

What relationship do the authors have to the corporation?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
What relationship do the authors have to the corporation?

I believe they are concerned citizens wanting to raise awareness of St Joe's impact on the area.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This company has so much money and so much power, it is ridiculous. We all need to enjoy what is left of the quaint, quiet spots along 30-A. Within 10 years, it's going to look like Collins Avenue in Miami Beach.

I guess my little fractional ownership down here will be worth a little more, but I will probably start heading to Mexico Beach when things get bad.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
JB said:
I guess my little fractional ownership down here will be worth a little more, but I will probably start heading to Mexico Beach when things get bad.

You better buy it today, because St Joe is all over that area, too, and let's not forget all of the jets from Tyndell Air Force. They blanket Mexico Beach.