• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Just announced on local news:

St Joe is trying to get the ball rolling developing 500 acres of agriculture-zoned land between Tyndell AFB and Mexico Beach. They must get the zoning changed first. JOE hopes to develop something similiar to WaterColor according to the story. The story was on Ch 13 out of Panama City, but it is not on their website as I type. Here is their website though. You may check it later to see if they post the full story later.

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
According to the Tv news this morning, Tyndall is worried that people will complain about the noise of the jets as this parcel is under the approach to the base.

Also, they reported that over the years, some of their unmanned drone planes had crashed on this land.

Perhaps they can name this community "WaterFalls" and then the thunder of the jet engines can help create that 'sense of place'.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
twt512 said:
According to the Tv news this morning, Tyndall is worried that people will complain about the noise of the jets as this parcel is under the approach to the base.

Also, they reported that over the years, some of their unmanned drone planes had crashed on this land.

Perhaps they can name this community "WaterFalls" and then the thunder of the jet engines can help create that 'sense of place'.

Or maybe..."De Plains"

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
twt512 said:

Sounds like the more appropriate name would be DroneFalls.:dunno:

I remember venturing down to Mexico beach just prior to July 4, the year following 9-11, and the jets were zooming around so much that we packed up and left after being there for only 30 minutes max. Those landing jets reminded me of yellow jackets approaching the landing in their hive. I don't think that the end users will appreciate the extremely loud military aircraft invading their otherwise peaceful and quiet day at the beach.

I think a similar situation is in store for JOE's project RiverCamps which will soon be located just south of Bay County's new International Airport.

gardening1970

Beach Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
Atlanta
I think the actual name tossed around is Bonfire Beach, which I think is quite pleasing to the ear.

A nice JOE development could really change the face of Mexico Beach. Good for the tax base and property values. Bad for those who want an affodable family vacation destination. Time will tell.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
gardening1970 said:
I think the actual name tossed around is Bonfire Beach, which I think is quite pleasing to the ear.

A nice JOE development could really change the face of Mexico Beach. Good for the tax base and property values. Bad for those who want an affodable family vacation destination. Time will tell.
I don't know if you have visited lately, but Mexico Beach is not the same place it was three short years ago.

gardening1970

Beach Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
Atlanta
My grandfather and extended family live in Port St. Joe Beach - a few blocks off of Hwy 98. I concur that Mexico Beach and much of the area have undergone tremendous development in the last few years. I recall condo construction on the west end of Mexico Beach when I visited last April. I'm planning a long weekend in March and eager to see what's new.

Does anyone know the timing for moving 98 in the Windmark area?

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
gardening1970 said:
I think the actual name tossed around is Bonfire Beach

Yikes! See previous comment regarding crashing drones!