State Forest Clear Cutting

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Dawn, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

Dear State of Florida Forestry Department,

I hope you get good money for our timber. I trust that the contract is fair and that the money received is used wisely.

But PLEASE! When you allow contractors to clear cut OUR forest next to OUR SCENIC HIGHWAY (395) PLEASE require a buffer so that our SCENIC Highway remains scenic!

2016-04-11-08.16.22.jpg

2. jkmason

jkmason Beach Lover

They also clear cut portions ON the Longleaf trail West of 83. They are removing all the native pine and other vegetation and replanting longleaf.

I can't believe they couldn't spare a small corridor along The trail. Go figure.

3. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Didn't realize the trail on 395 was closed until I tried to go out on it last week. Bummer. It looks terrible. I hope it's a good plan for the future with native long leaf.

4. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

The long leaf pine is actually the native tree for this area. What they are cutting is the pines planted by St. Joe for paper.

5. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

Saw the clear cutting yesterday while riding my bike. They're tearing it up. It would have been nice to leave a buffer, so we could at least have the illusion of a forest from the road and trails. I understand they're re-planting with longleaf, but it's going to take years before we have a forest again. Here's a link to an article about it:
    Florida Forest Service restores Longleaf Pines in Point Washington State Forest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2016
  6. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

That's what I am saying. 395 is a designated Scenic Highway by the same state that just ruined the scenery.

7. Will B

Will B Moderator

Unfortunately, the trees are theirs. They put them there and will replace them once they are done..

8. seabythegrove

seabythegrove Beach Fanatic

Managing the state forest should be left to the professionals. Short term it appears unattractive; long term it probably is the right thing to do...

9. Everytime

Everytime Beach Fanatic

This all makes sense now; I was down there 3/25-4/3 and ran portions of the Eastern Lake/Cassine trails and the trails/roads towards Deer Lake and saw no logging. A friend was visiting the area the following week and I recommended the PWSF trails. He ran them but ran into logging crews, controlled burns and trail closures on the west end and at the Eastern Lake Trailhead lot.

10. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

There is no reason for it not to be done properly in the short and long term. I noticed there is a buffer left for much of it but not all of it.

Utilities should be required to leave proper buffers also. And we should require utilities and road crews to leave no footprints and use proper landscaping and cleanup so that our roadways are attractive and neat. There is no excuse any longer for making a mess and leaving it. 30 years ago it might have been OK but not anymore.

11. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Is this where the new Wal-Mart is going?

12. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

It's a Walmart Supercenter, with a Deluxe Hampton Inn on top. And three Starbucks! 25 acres of parking lot!!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Woohoo. We have arrived. Finally.

14. Poppaj

Poppaj Beach Fanatic

Is going to be the new Supercenter concept with a massage/rub and tug next to the McDonald's inside?

15. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

With separate bathrooms for everybody. The trans won't have to share with the GOP pedophiles.

16. Low Brow

Low Brow Beach Lover

Gotta love a kneejerk reaction.....

17. groveral

groveral Beach Lover

Sorry if this has been discussed and I missed. Got down today, and was here 3 weeks or so ago over Easter.

We saw the trees cleared on 395 in Point Washington. What in the world is this? Suuuurely, not a development?

18. groveral

groveral Beach Lover

Whoops---somehow missed the thread below! Thanks for the info guys....agree with those saying it would have been nice ---for a scenic highway--to maintain a buffer until the new long leafs get some size, oh well...

19. Yarmap

Yarmap Beach Fanatic

Longleaf pine takes longer to mature so the national forest system usually has it on a 80 year rotation. I don't know what rotation the state forest in Florida has it on. So..........those that hate cutting trees but love toilet paper are in a quandary..........maybe they could use those Wal-mart bags to clean up their dirty business...........but then they'll be in another quandary over the septic & sewer system.