• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Beaches are closed today, I'm told they'll reopen tomorrow if conditions permit. There are a lot of people walking the beaches. Several families enjoying the day were asked to leave Grayton Beach.

There is a lot of dangerous debris which will take a week or so to clean up. There are a lot of damages walkovers, but most are useable and closed pending inspection.

Seaside is completely exposed, with clay jutting up along the beach - pics to come. Much more damage was done due to the beach scraping lowering the level of sand. One deputy said the situation is worse than after Ivan - except not as much dune and walkover damage.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Re: State of the beaches

kurt said:
One deputy said the situation is worse than after Ivan - except not as much dune and walkover damage.
Rats! According to all the weather statistics, the winds weren't that high and there wasn't that much rain. But a lot of pics posted yesterday seemed to show damage out of proportion to Arlene's strength when compared with Ivan's.

Last edited:

Seasider

Beach Lover
Nov 27, 2004

The Seaside Beach is looking very sad judging from these pictures.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

Grayton Beach looks good, and after clean up will look like nothing happened.

The beach was not scraped there except in front of the houses on the west side I believe.

050612-arlene-050.jpg

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Kurt, can you comment on the areas which received the most scraping after Ivan? My main area of concern is Blue Mountain Beach between the public access at the end of 83 and Gulf Trace.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

JB said:
Kurt, can you comment on the areas which received the most scraping after Ivan? My main area of concern is Blue Mountain Beach between the public access at the end of 83 and Gulf Trace.

Sorry - I've only been to the places pictured between 283 and 395. I'm hoping some others will report in before I can get around.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa

kurt said:
Sorry - I've only been to the places pictured between 283 and 395. I'm hoping some others will report in before I can get around.

I guess my question is, how much scraping was done in the area I mentioned after Ivan? If they did heavy scraping in that area, I would expect it to look about like Seaside does today.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA

What a contrast between Grayton Beach and Seaside following Arlene. And when will people ever accept that nature takes its course and the best protection is natural restoration? :bang:

Thank goodness for the educated efforts of Grayton Beach State Park stewards. :clap_1:

Status
Not open for further replies.