• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bluznbeach

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
www.davidsswan.com
There's a stray dog sleeping under our deck. He or she seems very lethargic, possibly sick, and Animal Control won't come because it's a weekend. The dog looks like a pit bull or pit bull mix, brindle (brown and black) coat, looks a little thin, no collar or tags. Is anybody missing a dog, or know of anyone that might do a rescue? (We can't keep him) Thanks!

Here's a photo:

Last edited:

Vino

Beach Comber
Aug 16, 2008
I noticed this dog a few nights ago. He was in Seagrove over by The Bungalows behind the Tom Thumb. He was very active then. I tried to get close but he wouldn't cooperate. Pretty big dog.

Foodlover

Beach Fanatic
Oct 15, 2006
South Walton
I saw a picture posted somewhere of a dog that looked very similar to the dog under your deck. Unfortunately, right now, I cannot recall if the poster was for a "lost" dog or a "found" dog. I think I saw the picture posted on the wall on the deck at Salty Dog Saloon?

4dogs

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Animal Control

Animal Control has officers on duty every day of the week. You need to call back and say the dog is sick. There is someone on duty until 6 today and then on call 24hrs.
I know Adopt A Dog can not take him in as they have no foster homes.
Alaqua is pretty much full.

Bluznbeach

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
www.davidsswan.com
We had already called Animal Control on Saturday before we posted this. We also told them we thought the dog was sick several times. First they said they'd come right away because the animal control guy was standing right there when we called. They didn't show up. We called back about an hour later. The story changed to "we can't come until Monday."

We'll try once again, but we don't expect anything different from them.

Animal Control has officers on duty every day of the week. You need to call back and say the dog is sick. There is someone on duty until 6 today and then on call 24hrs.
I know Adopt A Dog can not take him in as they have no foster homes.
Alaqua is pretty much full.

Last edited:

Bluznbeach

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
www.davidsswan.com
We left some food for him last night and he apparently ate it. We're hoping he'll stay around long enough for someone to pick him up. He was still here this morning, but apparently left a little while ago. We expect he'll be back later, as he seems to have taken up permanent residence.

We've been told there are "people" (using the term loosely) from Panama City Beach who like to dump their dogs on this side of the Inlet because they don't think they'll find their way back across the water.

Lethargic? Maybe hungry?

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Animal control may be waiting because they don't have the process to handle this dog in the whole "Fay" condition.

Sad. Hope you are wrong about the PCB idea.
I do hear the economy is making people make decisions about their pets that they would rather not have to. :sosad:

Bluznbeach

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
www.davidsswan.com
The animal control guy was here this afternoon, but the dog had just left for the day. We explained we see him mostly early morning and late afternoon. We're feeding it regularly to try to keep it around so someone can capture it and perhaps if it is lucky, it will be adopted.

I agree, the economy is tough, but if someone can't afford to keep an animal, it's more humane to give it to a shelter than to turn it out and let it starve!

Animal control may be waiting because they don't have the process to handle this dog in the whole "Fay" condition.

Sad. Hope you are wrong about the PCB idea.
I do hear the economy is making people make decisions about their pets that they would rather not have to. :sosad:

wracso

Beach Lover
Jul 7, 2007
Same thing happened out at WaterSound a few months ago. A dog was dumped and left in the woods. We fed him for a few days but didn't call Animal Control because we were afraid he would be put down. He was a blue heeler, fixed and an amazing dog. It took some time but he now has a great home!