• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Waterman

Beach Lover
Jan 11, 2005
Ventura County CA
Is that a strip mall going in at the corner of May Dr ? If not , does anyone know what is going in? Please let me know. :lol: :lol:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I doubt it will be a strip mall, but I will do a little research and get back with you on that.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Is that a strip mall going in at the corner of May Dr ? If not , does anyone know what is going in? Please let me know.

I'll give you the abbreviated scoop. The planning committee heard much testimony from area residents opposing the project in Aug. '04. They did not recommend approval, and sent it to the County Commissioners(BBC) to vote. Before I could read the minutes from the BCC mtg., I ran into the Engineer who headed the project, Walton Commercial Development, and we chatted. He said that the Developer had pulled out of the deal, and that he had decided to develop it as single family residential. Most of the opposition at the Planning mtg, was in regards to the dangerous traffic at that location. That is also the reason why the fence has been erected closing off the North end of Dalton Rd where it would intesect with 30-A.

By the way, this is not at the intersection of May and 30-A. Rather, it is located between Gulf and Williams on 30-A. That would be the SE corner of Dalton, which is closed from entry from 30-A, and 30-A. If there is something on May and 30-A, it is hush hush.

Hope this is the info for which you are looking.

A

Anonymous

A well done commercial development, a la Beach Java, Cowgirl Kitchen, would be far preferable to 50 or 60 more houses. And if there are concerns about traffic...we need only to look in the mirror. It's all of us with our cars and our kids....and the more houses, well, we all have our own selfish interests....but we may regret opposing every commercial development that comes down the pike. The only place to get a hair cut in Seagrove is being displaced because the Collaberations property is being sold. More condos, ya think?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
JMV said:
A well done commercial development, a la Beach Java, Cowgirl Kitchen, would be far preferable to 50 or 60 more houses. And if there are concerns about traffic...we need only to look in the mirror. It's all of us with our cars and our kids....and the more houses, well, we all have our own selfish interests....but we may regret opposing every commercial development that comes down the pike. The only place to get a hair cut in Seagrove is being displaced because the Collaberations property is being sold. More condos, ya think?

I hadn't heard about collaborations. You'll still be able to get a haircut in Seagrove and many other places.

Every commercial development here is not opposed, but there are many that are, and most often with good reasons. Each new development needs to be appropriate, well planned, and built properly.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Each new development needs to be appropriate, well planned, and built properly.

Well said, Kurt.

It is my opinion that this particular location would be terrible for commercial development because patrons would have to access it from the South on Dalton. (They will never find it, and therefor never shop there.) If accessed from 30-A, too many people would die in car wrecks. This is a dangerous curve, especially if entering and exiting from the South side of 30-A. The County apparently called for Dalton to be blocked from the north due to the danger that currently exists. Personally, I am glad that the developer pulled out of this project. By the way, he did so before the BCC ever heard the project.

Any homes built on this property would also be accessed from the South, not 30-A, according to the County, thereby eliminating or dimenishing the ingress and egress problems associated with this location.

I am glad to see someone on the planning board, i.e. Tom Patton, actually tries to do the right thing and see all sides of the issues, rather than others, such as Albert Paris, who wants to push everything item through. Rules are changing, to be more linient, in Walton County, and even now, some still want to go around them.

Wake up and smell the coffee.
(Get involved and create your town.)