1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

SUGAR SHACK info. GRAYTON BEACH

Discussion in 'Rentals - Vacation' started by meldavi, Jul 16, 2005.

1. meldavi

meldavi Beach Crab

Hello all, :bow:
    My husband and I are renting the Sugar Shack in August. This isn't to be confused with "Love Shack" is it? I've read some bad things re:
    I also wanted to know the rules about having a dog on the beach.
    I'm sorry for this misfortune of another hurricane. How is this effecting the sea turtles in Grayton?
    Lots of questions and thanks in advance for your reply.
    Graciously,
    mdav

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Check out this thread for more than you need to know about dogs on the beach.
    thread for Dogs on the Beach

3. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

No - the Sugar Shack is an old cottage that was moved off the dunes by the Red Bar to the main street in Grayton and renovated.

Not sure about the Turtles yet until we get a nest count when the season ends, but they will have little place to lay their eggs.

4. meldavi

meldavi Beach Crab

Thank you for your responses! I appreciate the information. How are the public walks to the beach in Grayton? Do they have marked areas so as not to disturb the "already disturbed dunes?"
    When does nesting season end for the Turtles? I appreciate your information. It's best to know ahead of time when visiting!!

5. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Grayton Beach is looking good. I spent another hour out there last night picking up almost the last of the garbage, metal sand fencing stakes and some lumber with nails. Today the State had bulldozers over on the park side piling up very large amounts of debris that will be trucked out.

It's always bothered me that the county would not replace the sand fencing along the east side of the boardwalk to protect the small dune are between the lake outlet and the boardwalk. Before Opal those were pretty big dunes and had built up nicely again, after the fence was lost from Ivan that area has become a major stomping ground. I put up a couple of "keep off dunes" signs along the boardwalk that had washed up on the beach but they are ignored. :bang:

There are a few turtle threads on the board:
    http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=244&highlight=turtles

Last edited: Jul 16, 2005
  6. meldavi

meldavi Beach Crab

There has got to be a way to inform visitors about the dunes and not leaving their belongings on the beach...
    Can some of the Rental agencies pitch in and leave flyers in their welcoming packets alerting visitors to the do's and dont's? It's a shame. I'm mad and I've been thinking about it for one day. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for locals!

7. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

Snellville, GA., Seacrest/Seagrove as often as we

Glad everything is lookin' "goos"on Grayton Beach? Are you hagin' with RO too much? Or did you have a bit much of the "tekillya" at dinner?

GB, you may need to issue a PUI! :rofl:

8. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

:rofl: :idontno: Are you pui? Are you seeing things???

9. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

:lolabove:
    That edit feature is a godsend isn't it?

10. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

That edit feature is a godsend, isn't it? I always thought they put the s too dang close to the d on the keyboard! :floor: