1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

sunset point

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Bob, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

Has anyone been over to the sunset point subdivision? What's the access road? How low is this land?

2. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

It is considered remote at this point. If they ever put a bridge across the intracoastal that could change. It is nice property but as of now you have to travel about 20 miles down a dirt road to get there.

The round trip from Grayton is about 2 hours.

3. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

If you are referring to the property to the north of the intercoastal and to the east of the Bay, It takes 45 minutes one-way for me. St Joe will probably be building a bridge over the intercoastal at some point in the future, but it will be a little further east than Pt Washington.

4. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Last I heard on the bridge was that it would be at WaterSound North and would not even connect to Steelfield Road. Seems a little strange, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is an expressway to the airport with just a couple of exits, like on 79.

5. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

Thank you. That area ia a contrarian buy right now!

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

It is a "buy" if you are looking for a remote area near the water. It is a "no-go" if you are looking for a deal, or looking for a place "close" to South Walton.

7. Today

Today Beach Comber

:D I have owned a lot on the bay at sunset point for a number of years. I can't believe how it has increased in value over the last few years. Some jerk sent me a contract to sign agreeing to sell my property to him for 35K. St. Joe's has almost 700 acres boardering sunset point that they list as being under evaluation.

You may want to check out Mustang Island in Texas. It looks like that area is ready to boom and reminds me of the Florida panhandle a few years ago. Good luck on your real estate buying!

8. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

What are the beaches like there? Got any pics? 8)

9. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

The Padre Island area of Texas is very interesting to me and some of it looks great. It just seems so far from everything - except Mexico and the major Texas markets.

Maybe there's enough people and money in Texas alone for it to take off. It's 5 hours south of Houston.

Is it popular with folks from Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, etc.? Who is going there? I've heard it's a popular Spring Break destination. What else?

10. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

The barrier islands in TX are growing with development. They remind me of Destin 15 years ago. Prices are relatively affordable compared to Destin area. Pre-Construction condos are around $350-$400 per sq ft., Destin is probably around $650-$750 per sq ft. The beaches are pretty rough compared to So. Walton. They are more like Appalachicola, ie- brown sand for beach instead of powder, murky water, etc. Some of the islands have major erosion, and they have installed sea walls,similar to the ones in Mission Beach in San Diego.

Who is buying and vacationing? Houston, and the surrounding communities. There are about 4 million folks in that market, and Houston is a short drive, for a weekend get-away.

11. Today

Today Beach Comber

There is a good five part series on the area at Caller.com Cropous Christi caller-times. It is a five part series beginning on 11/14/2004. You need to register, but it is free. In essence it states that very little property is left for development, "Padre and Mustand Island may be unrecognizable in about 20 years [sound familiar]" and the development there is ready to take off. Mustang Island has a planned 1400 acre town/community designed and created by the same architectural firm, Duany Plater-Zyberk & Co., that creaated Seaside. "In 1992, Powell said, Walton County was a rural, economically distressed area with no appreciable industry. Then the little rural county on the Gulf of Mexico had what Powell called a growth spurt that began with some planned developments, similar to those proposed in the Coastal Bend."

Anyway, my wife and I loved it down there and bought some property. :D

12. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

I read about the Newport development. Sounds like things will take off there. Belize is a better idea.

13. Today

Today Beach Comber

A real estate agent is asking the owners of properties at Sunset Point if they want to list their properties for sale. She wants to put together a package deal to give to a developer. St. Joe's owns the property (around 600 acres)next to Sunset Point. This St. Joe's property was listed as under evaluation a couple of weeks ago, now it is no longer listed as under evaluation on St. Joe's webpage. This property is now simply listed as belonging to St. Joe. Anyone here anything about what is going on over there?

14. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Hi Today, so sorry you won't be here tomorrow. :sosad:

:lol: But then again it's always Today.

I will speculate. Supposedly a bridge will be built over the Intracoastal and all the property up there will become more valuable. Even if that doesn't occur it is attractive, especially because of the new airport.
    The sunset point properties would allow a developer water access for all the undeveloped parcels. It would also be a good spot for a marina and might be easier to get approval than some other spots.

15. Advance The Man

Advance The Man Beach Lover

Where is Sunset Point? Is it in Bay County? Obviously it sounds as if it is on the northside of the Bay, but trying to locate it on a map and can't find it.

16. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Walton County
    It is on the north side of the InterCoastal Waterway, just north of Pt Washington. If you follow Hwy 395 north, until the road ends into the water, there will be a small island in front of you. The Intercoastal is on the north side of that small island. Sunset Point is on the north side of that.

Sunset Point can also be seen from the 331 bridge. Look to the East from the Bridge.

17. Advance The Man

I've attached a map. Is this the location?? How do you get there besides swimming?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  18. Advance The Man

I think I already know the answer! It's north of what I indicated right and quite bigger. How the heck do you get there? Doesn't look like any roads even lead there from the northside!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  19. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Yeah - it's just north of that island. Right next to Devil's Swamp. :blink:

20. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

How deep is the Bay there? Is it Navigable? (In anything other than a canoe?)