• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sowalwal

Beach Crab
Jul 9, 2008
I trust Jdarg. She is one of the most involved and knowledgeable school parents in SoWal.

Still, I would like to see Carlene Anderson on this forum. This is one of the best ways to connect with voters and school parents. Someone who knows her should send her a link. Jdarg?

I think in a perfect world, yes it would be great to see Ms. Anderson on here too, but she is still running a school district during this campaign season. Remember it is against all rules to campaign during work hours so her time is very limited, remember she is a 12 month employee and doesn't have summers off like others in the race.

rocketman

Beach Comber
Jun 28, 2008
For me, the choice for superintendent is very, very clear. During Carlene Anderson's four years as superintendent, we have witnessed our school district evolve into one of the top 5 performing districts in the state of Florida. We have come a long way in a short amount of time. My thoughts are, that we will become number one in the state in the very near future. With that being said, let's give Ms. Anderson the opportunity to continue being our superintendent.

Respectfully,
Rocketman.....

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
Like, I said, I don't know what the issues are... I don't know what these things are that someone would oppose that would in turn cause them to fear their job security. I never spoke to employees, just parents who knew employees. I do know that many people are concerned about the way she handles homeschooling families and like it or not, that's part of her job. The point is, I think someone needs to get to the bottom of these issues because they're definitely there, it just seems like no one is willing to talk, all for the same reasons.

Santiago

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2005
seagrove beach
The choice is easy in the Superintendent's race. The choice is easy for me. Carlene Anderson.

The school board is used to working with her, and we will only have 1 new school board member (as I imagine Mark Davis will and should be re-elected), and if Robert Nelson wins the other board position, then he has been to so many school board meetings and has been uber-involved with the school system over the years to jump right in and work with her. I guess what I am trying to say that I would see the start of the year as fairly seamless on both sides if Carlene gets re-elected- no down time for a learning curve.

I have only heard teachers speak well of her south of the bay, our test scores went up, we have some schools making great improvements, and overall our district seems to be improving - so why rock the boat? I say give her more years to show us what she can do. A change here would just slow up progress at this point, IMO. There is no good reason to replace her at this time.

Using this logic, why should anyone new ever be elected to any position? Learning curve?, By the looks of some of the people that have represented us in both the school board and commission, the learning curve can't be that difficult.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Using this logic, why should anyone new ever be elected to any position? Learning curve?, By the looks of some of the people that have represented us in both the school board and commission, the learning curve can't be that difficult.

But what about "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" I don't think the superintendent's office is in terrible shape, and I think Carlene Anderson deserves another term to keep moving forward and making positive changes.

Yes, improvements can always be made. I just don't think Carlene Anderson needs to be replaced. For several reasons, including the ones mentioned.

Santiago

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2005
seagrove beach
But what about "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" I don't think the superintendent's office is in terrible shape, and I think Carlene Anderson deserves another term to keep moving forward and making positive changes.

Yes, improvements can always be made. I just don't think Carlene Anderson needs to be replaced. For several reasons, including the ones mentioned.

I'm with you on the superintendent, I just don't think they're being used to each other is a reason to vote for her or the board. I'm used to my ex wife, but I still think she is a b--ch. As far as improvements, it looks like one has been made at Bay Elementary with Dr. Pettis returning as principal.

itsme

Beach Comber
Jul 18, 2008
Although her methods have been questioned she has put quality principals in our school. This has reflected in the grades of those schools. Since my mother is one, I well know teachers can be a honory bunch sometimes. She has patted herself on the back a few time, but its nothing don gates didn't do. At least she is not running for senate.

Seeker1

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2008
no on anderson

Ever since anderson was placed into office she has acted like royalty. She has never ever returned a single phone call to my home. Granted I've called for her assistance only five or six times over the years but is there a minimum before you get treated with respect? I have heard the same complaint from others. Still, others say she returns calls. I have narrowed it down to her refusing to return calls on matters relating to each particular issue. if its an issue the parent wants action on something she agrees with then the call has been made. If its over a decision she has made, or lack thereof, then its no return call. From calls to two personal noted left for her at her office my family has been shown no respect. At least have SOMEONE make a return call.
Anderson? Nope! And stop with the school grading people! Get over that political fodder! FCAT is a joke and holds no substance but gives people like anderson a flag to waive.
Hey look, lower the standards and any school will accell. Kids graduate today that cant write. They cant understand how to balance a checkbook or read a telephone bill or understand a job application. Overall our entire school system is weak. Its not Andersons fault by any means. But just meeting a minimum standard is no achievement. Im leaning towards porter who has her sights on a better future and higher goals for our children.

Last edited:
Ever since anderson was placed into office she has acted like royalty. She has never ever returned a single phone call to my home. granted Iv called for her assistance only five or six times over the years but is there a minimum before you get treated with respect? I have heard the same complaint from others. Still, others say she returns calls. I have narrowed it down to her refusing to return calls on matters relating to each particular issue. if its an issue the parent wants action on something she agrees with then the call has been made. If its over a decision she has made, or lack thereof, then its no return call. From calls to two personal noted left for her at her office my family has been shown no respect.
Anderson? Nope! And stop with the school grading people! Get over that political fodder! FCAT is a joke and holds no substance but gives people like anderson a flag to waive.
Hey look, lower the standards and any school will accell. kids graduate today that cant write. cant understand how to balance a checkbook or read a telephone bill or understand a job application. Overall our entire school system is weak. Its not Andersons fault by any means. But just meeting a minimum standard is no achievement. Im leaning towards porter who has her sights on a better future and higher goals for our children.

Dear Friend, I get that you don't like her, and I am the first to admit I don't know as much as I should about the school district. :dunno: However, the consensus is that the schools have improved over the last four years and the principal at South Walton is a good man who is doing great things. :clap: So what is the other candidate going to do to make things even better? I want to be fair and have not made my mind up, but someone is going to have to give me a better reason than she "acts like royalty" pretty darn't quick. :dunno:

elephantman

Beach Crab
Jul 17, 2008
Ever since anderson was placed into office she has acted like royalty. She has never ever returned a single phone call to my home. Granted I've called for her assistance only five or six times over the years but is there a minimum before you get treated with respect? I have heard the same complaint from others. Still, others say she returns calls. I have narrowed it down to her refusing to return calls on matters relating to each particular issue. if its an issue the parent wants action on something she agrees with then the call has been made. If its over a decision she has made, or lack thereof, then its no return call. From calls to two personal noted left for her at her office my family has been shown no respect. At least have SOMEONE make a return call.
Hey look, lower the standards and any school will accell. Kids graduate today that cant write. They cant understand how to balance a checkbook or read a telephone bill or understand a job application. Overall our entire school system is weak. Its not Andersons fault by any means. But just meeting a minimum standard is no achievement. Im leaning towards porter who has her sights on a better future and higher goals for our children.

In regards to her acting like royalty I have never found that to be true. From reading her bio she passed out the other night at the Emerald Coast Realtor?s Association Forum I see she worked her way up through the ranks beginning as a teachers' aid to where she is now. If you disagree with the school grading system and FCAT, call Tallahassee, they created it!! Agree with FCAT or not, our district seems to look good statewide. Based on Ms. Hutchinson?s own words from the Emerald Coast Realtor's Association forum the other night her platform to improve the WCSD is to have an open door policy, return phone calls, and work like a "team". Those are management techniques, not educational strategies, so if you want an educator with strong management skills vote for Anderson, if you want a Secretary vote for Hutchinson.