• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
The ladyfish, bluefish, bonito and everything else that eats glass minnows are still everywhere. The best time to target these hard fighting fish seems to be in the late afternoon, as the tide changes and starts to flood. The early morning is probably producing as well, but I just haven't seen the obvious signs of feeding (splashes and slashes, diving birds, etc.). Mostly, that occurs later in the day. Today, for example, the fish went nuts just a few yards off the beach at about 4:15 p.m.

If you target these species -- they're all great fun to catch, but mostly lousy to eat -- make sure you're using a fairly heavy leader (40 lb. flourocarbon or better; steel leaders are probably fine, but I have much more success with flourocarbon or monofilament leaders, especially for the "shy" fish). I've lived and died with a simple silver spoon for the better part of the last two weeks, but anything shiny and moving fast will draw strikes. If your spoons have treble hooks, you may want to consider replacing them with a single barb hook. It saves time -- and is possibly safer -- when catching and releasing fish. Especially the bluefish, which seem to be very angry at you when you pick them up.

The red and black drum are also still around, and as the water cools, the bigger bulls will start coming very close to shore. The pomps are there as well, but they don't seem to like what I'm offering. Picky little devils.

Hope this helps -- good luck!

bbraddick

Beach Crab
Nov 15, 2005
I am from the Boston MA area and coming down the 18th November to stay for the week. I have never been to the area before but I heard the shore fishing is excellent. I am used to fishing Striped Bass and Blue fishing.

Do you have any suggestion as to the type of tackle rod reel i should bring and possible beaches and locations on the shore that produce good fish. What time of day or tide is usually best?
Thanks to anyone that has a suggestion. :clap_1: