• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wintersbk

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2005
TEXAS
Hey all, first let me say we've been here since Saturday and this place is truley heaven on earth. We are staying in Seagrove Dunes & it was a delight to meet Sue while we were here.

Each day the water gets clearer. But I was wondering if the surf ever calms down. Is the surf always like this?

I had the grouper sandwich today at Market Cafe & also picked a couple of stickers. (thanks, Kurt :clap_1: ) We just got back from the Seaside Amphitheatre, where we munched on a basket of fried pickles & listen to good music & lots of kid's laughter.

We are considering Shell Island tomorrow or Thursday. Also, since we have blown over our budget in the first two days we've been here. Where's the best place to pickup some t-shirts for all those family members that couldn't make the trip?

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
It *is* a slice of paradise, so glad you are enjoying it! Is this your first time visiting?

Yes, the surf calms down frequently. It can be as calm as a lake at times. Usually though there's at least a little lap-lap of surf on the shore. (and a few times i've surfed some 10 foot waves! but that was when i was a newbie to the area and hadn't learned to heed the red flags..)

kt

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
Hey, your trip sounds great, wintersbk! We are staying at the Dunes later on this summer. Can't wait! Do you find the beach in front of the Dunes to be secluded or crowded? I am wondering what to expect. Be sure and share whatever pictures you come home with! :clap_1:

Katmoo, how often are there red flag days, and how long do they typically last? With our luck, it would probably be red the whole time we are there. :shock: We are paranoid safety freaks with the kids anyway, so we probably won't let the little ones in the water even on safe days, without their life jackets. Yes, we will be the nerds out on the beach in all of our safety gear. :rofl:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
If you have small children, you may be able to find a part of the beach that has little streams running down to the water and young children like to play in them. I believe Grayton Beach has those, as does our little beach in Seacrest, but I assume there are others along 30A. Perhaps others on this discussion group can let us know which beaches along 30A have these little streams (we like our little stream at our beach because our kids, even though they're not so young anymore, like to build sandcastles next to it). As a parent, I feel relaxed knowing this little stream is there because it distracts the kids from the ocean on yellow and red flag days. We can still look for dolphins in the ocean and gaze at the beautiful water and sunsets, even when we can't go in. It is indeed heaven on earth.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I don't think you'll find too many "cheap" t-shirts on 30-A, but Complements in Grayton Corners will probably have some on sale. Also check the Blue Mountain liquor store - they have lots of shirts and hats. There's also a place in the strip mall where Garrett Realty and Bruno's Pizza is. Seagrove Market has some but you will have to choose between delicious food or a shirt if you are on a budget.

Everywhere you see a coastal dune lake there will be an outflow (inlet), or stream as you say. But it may or may not be open to the gulf or accessible on foot. Eastern Lake in Seagrove and Western Lake in Grayton are the easiest ones to get to.

Swimming under red flag is permitted if you have a board tethered to your body. Surfers are protected species in these waters. Red flag days are as unpredictable as the weather. One of the reasons so many people want to rent a place with a pool.

wintersbk

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2005
TEXAS
BeachDreamer,
The beach in front of our Dunes unit is pretty much all ours. The beach seems pretty crowded on both sides, but we have a 100-150yd stretch that has been open for the entire week.

Thanks for the info on the t-shirts, you should have some SoWal.com t-shirts made. I'd blow my budget for one of those! :D

I'm working on posting a few current pictures of the beach & unit.

shakennotstirred

Beach Fanatic
Jan 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
wintersbk said:
Also, since we have blown over our budget in the first two days we've been here. Where's the best place to pickup some t-shirts for all those family members that couldn't make the trip?

I have had luck finding reasonably priced t-shirts at Angelika's Gift Chalet on the north side of 30-A in Dune Allen Beach.

seagrovelover

little sugar
Jan 12, 2005
St Louis Missouri
Wintersbk...sounds like a wonderful trip so far!!!! we are looking forward to a seagrove vacation in a few weeks ourselves :cool: ...SOWAL.COM t-shirts!!! :clap_1: I would buy one of those!!!!!!

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
Thanks all, we will check out Eastern Lake. We want to head to the rock jetty at St. Andrews at least once for snorkeling, too, so that will probably be nice and calm for the kiddos.

Wintersbk, enjoy what remains of your vacation!

seagrovelover

little sugar
Jan 12, 2005
St Louis Missouri
The rock jettie at St. Andrews is so nice, the kids love the calm water :clap_1: