Surfrider Foundation

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Bobby J, May 17, 2006.

1. Bobby J

Bobby J Beach Fanatic

We have recently started a panhandle Surfrider Chapter. I could not believe the Panhandle did not have one. If you are interested in joining please contact me at 850-865-7798 or go to the web site www.surfrider.org We will have our own web site soon. We are going to be doing a beach cleanup/membership drive on June 17. I will get back to this thread about location as soon as I know. My attraction to Surfrider is we do not have to keep reinventing wheel. They have experienced many of the environmental issues we are facing. They know the end results. Bringing Surfrider to the Panhandle hopefully will allow the County to have some more advice on what they should do when faced with issues such as seawalls. It has been explained to me that Walton County has handled some of our beach issues on the level of a third world country!!! That is scary. Having lived here most of my life I am very concerned for our beaches. It is the bread and butter for all of us! Our hope is to use Surfrider as a tool to educate the community on what has worked in other areas. Hopefully we can quit making mistakes. We feel that the area really could use help in understanding beach conservation.

The following are Surfrider initiatives:

Clean water, healthy beaches, beach access and special places. These are our core areas of work.

1.Clean Water
    Our initiative to protect and restore coastal water quality from the ridges, through our watersheds and out to the near shore ocean where we surf, swim and recreate.

2.Beach Access
    Our initiative to promote the right of low-impact, free and open access to the world's waves and beaches for all people.

3.Beach Preservation
    Our initiative to protect and preserve healthy beaches that are important coastal ecosystems and recreational areas.

4.Protecting Special Places
    Our initiative to proactively conserve, protect, and restore special coastal and ocean places.

If you are interested in learning more call or go to the web site. We meet every other Thursday and looking for help.

Thanks,
    Bobby J

2. InletBchDweller

InletBchDweller SoWal Insider

Thanks for the information!!

3. Jennifer Steele

Jennifer Steele Beach Fanatic

Bobby,
    Would it be best to join through you or through the national site?

4. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

This sounds like a very worthy organization. Since I can't be there physically to help, I will make a donation to the cause. Good luck on your efforts!!!!

5. Bobby J

Bobby J Beach Fanatic

If you join through the site and put in Panhandle chapter we recieve a small portion of monies to help with our efforts to keep our chapter alive. Take the time to look over the site. It is really awesome!

Thanks so much for your interest.

Bobby J

6. swantree

swantree Beach Fanatic

i'll nominate you as EL Presidente' and make Ty the vice:funn:

7. Bobby J

Bobby J Beach Fanatic

No president job for me. I would take away from my surfing. Our meetings are every other Thursday unless of course the surf is up! :clap_1: